Linux and Windows Networking

Old November 18th 06, 04:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pib

Default Linux and Windows Networking

Can somebody advise me on how easy it is to connect a machine with a
Linux O/S such as Fedora 5 and a machine running Windows XP Home
edition. My main machine currently uses a removeable rack system which
enables me to swap hatrd disks easily but it would be more convenient
to have a seperate machine with Linux loaded. I do not really want to
dual boot because of problems experienced in the past.

Old November 18th 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Pib wrote:
Can somebody advise me on how easy it is to connect a machine with a
Linux O/S such as Fedora 5 and a machine running Windows XP Home
edition. My main machine currently uses a removeable rack system which
enables me to swap hatrd disks easily but it would be more convenient
to have a seperate machine with Linux loaded. I do not really want to
dual boot because of problems experienced in the past.

Look into samba. I use it (on freebsd, but it's the same program :-)
), and it provides file access in both directions (with some caveats
about Home's broken security model - '98 was better).

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old November 18th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

Pib wrote:

Can somebody advise me on how easy it is to connect a machine with a
Linux O/S such as Fedora 5 and a machine running Windows XP Home
edition. My main machine currently uses a removeable rack system which
enables me to swap hatrd disks easily but it would be more convenient
to have a seperate machine with Linux loaded. I do not really want to
dual boot because of problems experienced in the past.

As a Linux noobie, I may be qualified to answer how easy (or otherwise) it
is.

My experiences a

1: Xandros 3.0 - just worked with file transfers both ways. Really easy!

2: (K)Ubuntu 6.01.1 - Could do everything except write from Windows to
Linux. I spent a lot of time with no resolution. I pored over the Samba man
pages, hand-edited the config file, swore and cursed, all to no avail.

Allegedly (K)Ubuntu 6.10 makes it easier, but I haven't found it stable
enough to use yet.

I've looked at about a dozen distros recently, including Fedora, but didn't
try networking them because I rejected them for other reasons.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old November 18th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article . com, Pib
says...
Can somebody advise me on how easy it is to connect a machine with a
Linux O/S such as Fedora 5 and a machine running Windows XP Home
edition. My main machine currently uses a removeable rack system which
enables me to swap hatrd disks easily but it would be more convenient
to have a seperate machine with Linux loaded. I do not really want to
dual boot because of problems experienced in the past.

Quite easy. Samba and LinNeighbourhood.

Helps to choose your distro though. Ubuntu is great for browsing
Windows networks.

--
Conor

Religion, ****ing people over for millennia.