wireless connection problem?

Old November 19th 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

Default wireless connection problem?

Hello,

I have just replaced an ADSL router/modem for a friend - using a
Belkin F5D7633 uk4A.

A PC with a wired connection to the router and one laptop connect fine
with the router and the Internet - the other laptop does not.

Its OS is XP/Media Centre. Although I can ping a web site on the
Internet from this laptop, I cannot get to this site using Internet
Explorer (v6). Do not even get an error message.

The icon shows that the wireless connection is present.

I have tried stopping both the Windows XP firewall and the another one
which is on the PC but neither allows IE to work.

Any suggestions please?!

Cheers

Geoff
Old November 19th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 18 Nov 2006, Geoff Cox wrote:

the other laptop does not

suggest you start by comparing the TCP/IP settings from the two laptops,
and in MS-DOS you get a "route print" so you can see that they are both
showing similar settings for the gateway (only the IP addresses for the
two PCs should be different)...

If you can ping bbc.co.uk on one, but not the other, but pinging a
specific IP address (eg 212.58.228.155 - aka bbc.co.uk) works on both
then it's a DNS issue, and that may be down to either

(a) a setting to use some specific servers (eg from an old ISP, which
won't allow requests now from that laptop, as it is no longer from
an IP associated with that ISP, or using a company's DNS which is
not be found at this location. Also, for MS IE, there could be
a proxy defined for HTTP access which may give problems)... or

(b) not getting any settings from the Belkin router... HTH.
Old November 19th 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:23:52 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

On 18 Nov 2006, Geoff Cox wrote:

the other laptop does not

suggest you start by comparing the TCP/IP settings from the two laptops,
and in MS-DOS you get a "route print" so you can see that they are both
showing similar settings for the gateway (only the IP addresses for the
two PCs should be different)...

If you can ping bbc.co.uk on one, but not the other, but pinging a
specific IP address (eg 212.58.228.155 - aka bbc.co.uk) works on both
then it's a DNS issue, and that may be down to either

Thanks for your reply - I will have to check this but I think on the
laptop where I could not browse - I could ping both by IP and web site
name.

What would that indicate?!

Cheers

Geoff

Old November 19th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Nov 2006, Geoff Cox wrote:

What would that indicate?!

That it's time to switch to Firefox or Opera or Netscape :-))))

I'd check the Internet Options | Connection settings from MS IE. It may be
that some proxy info is in place, which may be from a past use (in a firm,
using their internal network, over VPN as a remote workstation, or a dumb
ISP making settings when an installation CD was used, to force all of
their users through a web cache, for example).

The internet connection settings there are used by MS (+ some network apps)
but there are times when I want MS IE / OE to stop accessing the internet
and use "work offline" - MS apps think you are off, but Firefox works OK.
Old November 19th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 12:23:40 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

On 19 Nov 2006, Geoff Cox wrote:

What would that indicate?!

That it's time to switch to Firefox or Opera or Netscape :-))))

Good idea!

I'd check the Internet Options | Connection settings from MS IE. It may be
that some proxy info is in place, which may be from a past use (in a firm,
using their internal network, over VPN as a remote workstation, or a dumb
ISP making settings when an installation CD was used, to force all of
their users through a web cache, for example).

I have looked at that - no proxy present.

Cheers

Geoff

Old November 19th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

wrote:

[...]

Is the connection in Internet Explorer set to never dial up?