Bit off topic: - Electricity meters

Old November 19th 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

Default Bit off topic: - Electricity meters

"James" wrote in message
I've been trying to pindown the source of some interference on my ADSL
connection [RFI]. It appears to be coming from my meter cupboard, very
strong signal, a kind of rhythmic pulse, every 1 second. I can pick it
up on MW radio at various frequencies. It seems to be centred on the
actual meter, economy 7 type with 2 readings.

[...]

Just a long shot, but have you got the kind of central heating boiler that
has automatic spark ignition of the pilot or main jet? They are supposed to
stop sparking once the flame is lit. However, it is possible that such a
system might have a fault or combination of faults that made it keep on
sparking even if the jet has lit, and 1 spark per second is about right. As
you probably know, a spark is a great wideband RF generator.

Trev.

Thanks
--
Regards
James

Old November 21st 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

James wrote:
In article ,
says...

Just a long shot, but have you got the kind of central heating boiler that
has automatic spark ignition of the pilot or main jet? They are supposed to
stop sparking once the flame is lit. However, it is possible that such a
system might have a fault or combination of faults that made it keep on
sparking even if the jet has lit, and 1 spark per second is about right. As
you probably know, a spark is a great wideband RF generator.

Thanks for that, I'll see what I can find out, funnily enough if I put
my radio on the bare copper pipe at the bottom of the radiator the
signal is very strong, whatever this signal is it seems to be on all
wiring/piping.

It is very wideband, I can hear it on longwave, fainter than MW but
still the same telltale signature, and shortwave around 12-13 mHz.

555kHz MW is the strongest signal, also at 610kHz and 720kHz

This morning I disconnected the incoming pair from everything and the
noise is booming in on 555kHz when I put my radio next to the bare wire
just asit pokes through the wall, aswell as at the meter cupboard.
Looks like it is coming in via the phoneline and the mains.

Not near an airport are you? At university, rented in Hayes. My
casio 2.2" (hey, that was quite big for an LCD screen in 1990!) portable
TV used to pick up what I assume was the radar from heathrow
- about one pulse each second. Or two, slightly different tones
(perhaps two different radar signals).

And surely your boiler would not be trying to light itself with the
mains switched off? They have mains powered timers, controllers,
gas valve, pump, fan and so on. No mains no heating!

dom.

Old November 21st 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Burton Bradstock

James wrote:

555kHz MW is the strongest signal, also at 610kHz and 720kHz

These seem to be in the band for ADSL frequencies; a bit of Googling
turned up this: upstream 138-276 kHz, downstream 138-1104 kHz.

I also found this;

"The xDSL standard provides for the frequency range 0-26 kHz to be
left free for conventional analogue telephone services (PSTN POTS).
The 26-1130 kHz band can then accommodate 256 channels of 4.3125 kHz
each. In principle these individual carriers can be used in either
direction independently or simultaneously depending on the actual xDSL
standard in use and line conditions. (The ISDN variant uses 224
channels from 140-1104 kHz; 0-140 kHz is kept clear for the ISDN
carrier.)"

http://www.rapid.co.uk/adsl_faqs.html