Idle question

Old November 19th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

Default Idle question

Sorry, long post; either interesting or useless waffle, you decide if you
can be botherer

Is there no commercially available wireless bridge setup that comes as a
pair, has ethernet on either end (perhaps even with duplicate mac and on
same subnet; externally a real bridge) that uses one of the open source
PGP sequential key algorithms that are already tried and true? Do away
with network config, absolutely no user access to settings except via a
hex keypad and display to enter an IV (right phrase? Initialisation for
pseudo random sequence generator) at either end. *Not* generated from
silly passphrase translator either.

That way, the hardware at either end could use the streaming encryption to
tunnel all IP packets between the two in a way that's invisible to the
user. As far as the user's concerned it's a wired bridge between the two
segments. The Open Source streaming protocols seem to stand up well to
people trying to pick holes in them, they're well tested and are even
trusted by some branches of the military [AFAIK: think VoIP] The wireless
'network' is completely useless to an intruder unless they can break
through the encrypted endpoints (there is no network). A dual encryption
scheme would help mitigate known-text vulnerabilities, 'real' local macs
and IPs would be wirelessly invisible.

Most of the problems that I see in my initial look at the systems in use
seem to revolve around trying to combine the RF networking methodologies
with an encryption mechanism. My idle thinking points to that as the true
source of most of the vulnerabilities. There's a big difference between
the complexity required for business use and the simplicity needed for
beginners.

For home use, most of the network could be wired; the aim most amateurs
seem to have is the avoidance of drilling holes in walls and lifting
floorboards. If the modules I speak of could be mass produced then they
should cost little more than a NIC and could be powered by USB, so instead
of a wireless 'network' you'd have a collection of wireless linkups, with
the wireless part *totally* isolated from the wired part. The real
strength being no way to reconfigure without physical access to the
devices and nothing to see but a meaningless data stream (fill gaps with
noise, or better yet, with HD mirroring data?). The failures being only
one IP pair per link (though that could perhaps be solved by a switch
stylee VLAN protocol?) and greed for wireless channels. Nice easy
processor (enough of them about), flash memory, and the only way to
reflash being local serial (USB?) link?

I am truly sorry if I'm talking rubbish, but I can't shut myself up after
a saturday night (not fit for anything in RL!) and it seems a possible
good starting point for a conversation. (IOW if I am talking rubbish,
which wouldn't surprise me, just say so and I'll shutup straight away. A
hint as to why would be kind hearted)

Maybe my current slow baptism into OO programming is getting to me
If it doesn't work, break it into smaller pieces..

Dave J.
Old November 19th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 19 Nov 2006, Dave J. wrote:

For home use, most of the network could be wired; the aim most amateurs
seem to have is the avoidance of drilling holes in walls and lifting
floorboards.

Personally I prefer wired, but (whilst not against the idea of this non-
user-configured wireless system) think that the HomePlug or similar (not
sure if that's the correct name) system is pretty much meeting the aims,
without any real need to configure anything at each end - you might only
need to do so if somehow there were nodes from someone else on the same
phase appearing (which seems unlikely, because of meters and other kit
in between your home and another on the same phase)... While I've set
up two of these for different families, and _could_ have altered the
default names to something more specific, they were actually ready
to work straight from plugging in...