NTL cable problem

Old November 19th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Jampton

Default NTL cable problem

I've had NTL cable broadband for over 4 years. Very happy with it and never
had any problems until now. For the last couple of weeks for 1 to 2 hours
or more between 3pm and 7pm my speed drops to way below dial up speed -
it's unusable. Before and after the speed is OK.

They're sending an engineer on Tuesday but I wondered if anyone has any
idea what the problem could be ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old November 19th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
djc

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
I've had NTL cable broadband for over 4 years. Very happy with it and
never
had any problems until now. For the last couple of weeks for 1 to 2 hours
or more between 3pm and 7pm my speed drops to way below dial up speed -
it's unusable. Before and after the speed is OK.

They're sending an engineer on Tuesday but I wondered if anyone has any
idea what the problem could be ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Yes, the engineer will when he calls. If anyone does tell you their guess
or opinion here, are you really silly enough to argue with or doubt an
engineer that works for the company ? If you quote people from here he will
think you are a bit of an idiot and catch you out quite easily.

Old November 19th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

[...]

But don't forget that the engineer works for NTL and will tend to tell
(sell) you the company line so his (her) opinion may not be 100% reliable
either.

I have a similar problem with Orange (and no doubt so have quite a few
others with their respective ISPs). My connection worked OK until the day
when they upped the speed since it works when it works (rebooting every five
minutes or so at worse). I have had various reasons for the problem (one of
which is that it's a capacity problem) but it's funny it started at the very
point in time the service was 'improved'. I'm not confident the people you
speak to at the ISPs know anything more than on their crib sheet.

Regards.
Bill Ridgeway

Old November 19th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Jampton

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:01:46 -0000, djc wrote:

Yes, the engineer will when he calls. If anyone does tell you their guess
or opinion here, are you really silly enough to argue with or doubt an
engineer that works for the company ? If you quote people from here he will
think you are a bit of an idiot and catch you out quite easily.

Thanks djc.

Sigh ...... :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old November 19th 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
meggahurtz

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
I've had NTL cable broadband for over 4 years. Very happy with it and
never
had any problems until now. For the last couple of weeks for 1 to 2 hours
or more between 3pm and 7pm my speed drops to way below dial up speed -

Telewest/NTL Are traffic shaping in saturated areas...

Old November 19th 06, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"Meggahurtz" wrote in message

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
I've had NTL cable broadband for over 4 years. Very happy with it and
never
had any problems until now. For the last couple of weeks for 1 to 2
hours
or more between 3pm and 7pm my speed drops to way below dial up
speed -

Telewest/NTL Are traffic shaping in saturated areas...

They're all talkin about it in the blueyonder groups.

Old November 20th 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"Gizmo." wrote in message

"Meggahurtz" wrote in message

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
I've had NTL cable broadband for over 4 years. Very happy with it
and never
had any problems until now. For the last couple of weeks for 1 to 2
hours
or more between 3pm and 7pm my speed drops to way below dial up
speed -

Telewest/NTL Are traffic shaping in saturated areas...

No we're not.
End of

Wanna bet money on it?
I thought you were 'NTL'?
http://world-of-digital.com/forums/f...aping-its.html

Old November 20th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan30

Yes, the engineer will when he calls. If anyone does tell you their guess
or opinion here, are you really silly enough to argue with or doubt an
engineer that works for the company ? If you quote people from here he
will think you are a bit of an idiot and catch you out quite easily.

I was with NTL for 7 years. The engineers are the only people in NTL who
were any good. I hope the idiot on c/s who booked the call actually booked
it cause I have discovered in the past that this is a hard task for them.
When an engineer fails to appear you call c/s and they have no record of it.

Good luck

Adam

Old November 20th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
meggahurtz

"Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message
Wanna bet money on it?
I thought you were 'NTL'?