Acquired a line with LLU - help removing it?

Old November 20th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wright

Default Acquired a line with LLU - help removing it?

I've bought a house where the previous occupant had a LLU product
(easynet/Sky) - this is causing me difficulties signing up for a non-LLU
product. I only discovered this after speaking to the BT Tag team, as I
originally believed it just to be a tag issue on the line.

According to the same team, the line is earmarked to be returned to a
non-LLU line on the 30th November at 7:30pm - that's almost two weeks from
now, and will be over 3 weeks after I bought the house. Apparently,
immediately after that happens I will be free to sign up to my ISP of choice
(which isn't Sky).

BT apparently can't do anything to speed up the process once it's a LLU
line, nor is the previous occupant interested in helping - is there any
mileage in contacting Sky and asking them what they can do, or will they not
be interested/too confused to understand? Or is there another BT department
that can help?

It's a bit like having my line held to ransom by someone, if I can't get the
LLU product removed - I'm loathe to sit and wait another fortnight before I
can even apply for my broadband, and then wait another x days for that to be
activated.

Cheers,
D.

Old November 20th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when "David Wright"
opened his gob and said:

It's a bit like having my line held to ransom by someone, if I can't get the
LLU product removed - I'm loathe to sit and wait another fortnight before I
can even apply for my broadband, and then wait another x days for that to be
activated.

That is the way it (mostly) is from leaving an LLU product...a cease
and reprovide...which is why I'm avoiding LLU like the plague. I'm not
interested until I can get out as easily as I can get in.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old November 20th 06, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

If BT can't speed it up then I doubt anybody else can.

Peter Crosland

Old November 20th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , David Wright
writes
[...]

Thanks for the info. I currently have UKOnline/Easynet LLU BB and am
very happy with it, (other than the fact that fellow Sky subscribers get
it at a lower price now), & the contention ratio is lower than on a BT
line. Why not just take up the LLU offering?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old November 20th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"David Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Surely this is something that your solicitor should have resolved as part of
the enquiries he made before you agreed to purchase the house?

--
Graham

Old November 20th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wright

Surely this is something that your solicitor should have resolved as part
of the enquiries he made before you agreed to purchase the house?

Seriously? I would have thought that it was way beyond the remit of most
conveyancing queries. And probably beyond their knowledge too.

Certainly the property enquiry form we saw had the previous owner agreeing
that the *phone line* would be released and available for the new owner,
which indeed it was - I'd contacted BT a week before we moved and it was all
registered and transferred, with the phone ready for use as soon as we moved
in (same number, as it was the same exchange).

But no mention of the cessation of any broadband service - maybe you've
tapped into something there that conveyancers should be including in the
future! Just because I could take over the "phone line" obviously doesn't
seem to mean then that I am entitled to make decisions about the services
that use it.

At least I cancelled my own ADSL at the old address in time, presumably the
seller to us wasn't so generous..

D.

Old November 20th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wright

Thanks for the info. I currently have UKOnline/Easynet LLU BB and am very
happy with it, (other than the fact that fellow Sky subscribers get it at
a lower price now), & the contention ratio is lower than on a BT line. Why
not just take up the LLU offering?

It's certainly an idea, especially as I am a Sky TV customer, but I'm of the
persuasion that the Sky product just isn't proven yet - certainly the
complaints and problems of other users seem to be far in excess of other
ISP's. Although that could be down to the popularity of what is a very
attractively priced product.

Plus, I do have some specifics like wanting to use my own (non-wireless)
equipment, wanting a static IP, and not wanting to enter into a 12-month
contract.

D.

Old November 20th 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

David Wright wrote in message
:

[...]

I'd say that it definitely *is* something that solicitors should be
checking. On their checklist to the previous owners, they should be asking
whether there is already broadband on the line and whether it will be ceased
by the conveyance date, in the same way that the owner is asked whether or
not he will be leaving lightbulbs, carpets, curtains etc.

Also, there needs to be a change in the law so that if the vendor omits to
cease the service, the act of transferring the ownership of a house (ie the
production of some legal document that proves that you are the new owner)
should be taken by the vendor's ISP as authorisation to cease the service
that they provided, so that your ISP can provide a service. I've heard of
cases where the previous owner *never* provides authorisation to cease the
service so the new owner can *never* get broadband.

Old November 20th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"David Wright" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. I currently have UKOnline/Easynet LLU BB and am very
happy with it, (other than the fact that fellow Sky subscribers get it at
a lower price now), & the contention ratio is lower than on a BT line.
Why not just take up the LLU offering?

It's certainly an idea, especially as I am a Sky TV customer, but I'm of
the persuasion that the Sky product just isn't proven yet - certainly the
complaints and problems of other users seem to be far in excess of other
ISP's. Although that could be down to the popularity of what is a very
attractively priced product.

Sky broadband is working fine on the two lines I had installed.
The 2M one has been up for about three weeks.

The 15M one was installed a few days later so has only been up a couple of
weeks.

This is to be expect as Easynet have been around for years.
Its Skys ordering and CS that are creaking not the Internet access.

Plus, I do have some specifics like wanting to use my own (non-wireless)
equipment, wanting a static IP, and not wanting to enter into a 12-month
contract.

You can turn the wireless off on the sky router.

My address hasn't changed yet but it isn't static.
I do run a mail server, etc. using dyndns.

There aren't many ISPs that don't have a 12 month contract or a cancellation
fee.
There is no real difference between a 12 month contract and a cancellation
fee.

Old November 20th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message ,
"[email protected]" writes
I do run a mail server, etc. using dyndns.

Isn't that against the T&Cs? Running servers is certainly against the
UKOnline T7Cs.

--
dave @ stejonda