Is it a router

Old November 20th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim S

Default Is it a router

I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?
The reason I ask is that in discussions in newsgroups about firewalls, an
oft used solution is to 'get a router'. If what I have got is a router then
how does it help viz a viz firewalling, or am I missing the point somewhere?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old November 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Jim S" wrote in message
I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?
The reason I ask is that in discussions in newsgroups about firewalls, an
oft used solution is to 'get a router'. If what I have got is a router
then
how does it help viz a viz firewalling, or am I missing the point
somewhere?

Insufficient information to be able to tell.

BY provide a cablemodem which has Ethernet and USB connections on the back
to connect the PC and a coax to connect to BY.
If this is the box you are referring to it is not a router.

HTH.

Old November 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
Jim S opined loudly:
I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?
The reason I ask is that in discussions in newsgroups about
firewalls, an oft used solution is to 'get a router'. If what I have
got is a router then how does it help viz a viz firewalling, or am I
missing the point somewhere?

Your "BOX" is a Cable Modem if you want extra firewalling get a
Cable / Dsl Router
Not a Router / Modem which is for ADSL
--

Yddap

Old November 21st 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 21 Nov 2006, Jon wrote:

Routers have built-in hardware firewalls.

Although many routers have software in them to provide a firewall, it is
certainly not the case that _all_ routers offer a firewall - I have a
few older units which have none.

NAT ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translation ) usually
provides a block on unwanted traffic to systems on a LAN, so long as it
is enabled, but isn't the same as a firewall.
Old November 21st 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew W Young

Jon wrote:
declared for all the world to hear...
I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?

Sounds like a modem to me. Does it have 4 or more ethernet ports? If it
has then it's a router.

No, a router only needs two ports. One on each subnet which it will
route between.

If it has a selection of ports, then it is possible that it is a
combination unit comprising:
built-in router
built-in *switch*
all in one box/casing.

The question "does it have 4 or more ethernet ports" does not define a
router. My switch has 16 ethernet ports so the answer to your question
would be "yes" but that doesn't make it a router.

--
Andrew W. Young
http://www.andrew-young.com/
Old November 21st 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:50:51 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?
The reason I ask is that in discussions in newsgroups about firewalls, an
oft used solution is to 'get a router'. If what I have got is a router then
how does it help viz a viz firewalling, or am I missing the point somewhere?

What is "BY"? I'm assuming BT Yahoo....

IF so then you must have ADSL and that would make the box a ADSL
Modem/Router.
Old November 21st 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...ets_throttled/

Old November 21st 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim S

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:22:49 +0000, Steve Pearce wrote:

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:50:51 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?
The reason I ask is that in discussions in newsgroups about firewalls, an
oft used solution is to 'get a router'. If what I have got is a router then
how does it help viz a viz firewalling, or am I missing the point somewhere?

What is "BY"? I'm assuming BT Yahoo....

IF so then you must have ADSL and that would make the box a ADSL
Modem/Router.

Sorry Blueyonder (UK cable)
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old November 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew W Young

Steve Pearce * wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:50:51 GMT, Jim S wrote:

I am connected to BY via a box which connects via the Ethernet socket.
Is this a router?
The reason I ask is that in discussions in newsgroups about firewalls, an
oft used solution is to 'get a router'. If what I have got is a router then
how does it help viz a viz firewalling, or am I missing the point somewhere?

What is "BY"? I'm assuming BT Yahoo....

IF so then you must have ADSL and that would make the box a ADSL
Modem/Router.

Not necessarily, it could be an ADSL modem, without router.

--
Andrew W. Young
http://www.andrew-young.com/