Pledge to the moderator...

Old November 21st 06, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Default Pledge to the moderator...

I'm starting to suspect that we are seeing some nasty marketing
techniques infecting this newsgroup.
Too many "pro-Skype" messages, with too many trolls talking wonders
about the easiness of this, the affordability of that, etc... and
arguing against the "serious" stuff.
The suspect is that these people are bribed by Skype to advertise it
with the "viral marketing" technique to infiltrate relevant newsgroups,
and outweighing the balance to their (economic) advantage.
Any newbie reading some recent messages could get the big picture wrong.
Can we stick to the chapter, and talk about Voice over IP?
Skype is an Instant Messaging system, like Yahoo (that was doing voice
chat AGES before Skype) or MSN.
It doesn't belong to VoIP, the VoIP protocols are SIP and H323.
I don't want to sound "geek", but can we have a breath of fresh air?

TA

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old November 21st 06, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin▓

I am not Skype user let alone fan,
but it does carry Voice over Internet Protocol.
Perhaps this should be uk.telecom.sip.voip group ?
Regards,
Martin

Old November 21st 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
er.co.uk

[snip]

Skype is an Instant Messaging system, like Yahoo (that
was doing voice chat AGES before Skype) or MSN.
It doesn't belong to VoIP, the VoIP protocols are SIP and
H323.

Actually, much as I hate to admit it, technically it *is* voice over ip..!

BTW there is also IAX.

Ivor

Old November 21st 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
er.co.uk...
I'm starting to suspect that we are seeing some nasty marketing
techniques infecting this newsgroup.
Too many "pro-Skype" messages, with too many trolls talking wonders
about the easiness of this, the affordability of that, etc... and
arguing against the "serious" stuff.
The suspect is that these people are bribed by Skype to advertise it
with the "viral marketing" technique to infiltrate relevant newsgroups,
and outweighing the balance to their (economic) advantage.
Any newbie reading some recent messages could get the big picture wrong.
Can we stick to the chapter, and talk about Voice over IP?
Skype is an Instant Messaging system, like Yahoo (that was doing voice
chat AGES before Skype) or MSN.
It doesn't belong to VoIP, the VoIP protocols are SIP and H323.
I don't want to sound "geek", but can we have a breath of fresh air?

Sorry I think your talking lot of bollards.

I think if a billion dollar company wanted to do marketing it would not
waste effort
in doing it on on this forum where they are despised

The truth is Skype is a VOIP system and in someways it is probably the best
system around, there is no real alternative to skype for free internet
calls, yes you can do it with SIP providers but networks are so small that
the person you want to speak to is probably not using your network if they
are using SIP (even more so for international calls), Skype is for everyone,
even computerphobic people I know have managed to install and run skype,
which would be impossible on most SIP systems with port forwarding and what
have you

Skype also suffers from same issues SIP VOIP does like the ability to
traffic shape at the ISP level

Don't get me wrong I am not a super Skype user, I like my SIP systems as
well, running Trixbox with multiple SIP providers, but SKYPE does have its
place in the world. and without skype the whole home user VOIP sector would
be smaller. How many people on this list first looked at VOIP through SKYPE,
I know I did.

I know I should not feed the trolls, but have done in this case...

Old November 21st 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bl...utcherside.jpg

Old November 21st 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
nemo2

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:22:04 -0000, "RH"
wrote:

snipped
Don't get me wrong I am not a super Skype user, I like my SIP systems as
well, running Trixbox with multiple SIP providers, but SKYPE does have its
place in the world. and without skype the whole home user VOIP sector would
be smaller. How many people on this list first looked at VOIP through SKYPE,
I know I did.

I know I should not feed the trolls, but have done in this case...

RH,

I have to admit that I use skype, the main reason is that it will get
through a university firewall that blocks voipcheap. As my daughter is
no longer in halls I could go back to voipcheap, but skype is easy to
support; well it just appears to work.

I've just brought a router that supports voip, but at the moment I
can't be bothered to set it up as I've other things that are more
important; I will get around to it sometime - honestly.

I'm not worried about the security aspect of skype as we don't talk
about anything confidential on skype. However, in reality what are the
chances of my conversation being interceted by somebody who could
capture the concersation and then use the information; not high I
suspect.

I thought that your response was a good one, people use skype, because
it's easy and a lot of other people use it and most of them won't know
or care who owns skype.

regards

nemo2
Old November 21st 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

I'm not worried about the security aspect of skype as we don't talk
about anything confidential on skype. However, in reality what are the
chances of my conversation being interceted by somebody who could
capture the concersation and then use the information; not high I
suspect.

I suspect if your an international terrorist and being monitored by CIA then
skype and voip in general might not be safe, And if you are worried about
VOIP
being intercepted I have a feeling its probably easier to do at PC level of
the user
rather than inbetween users. Of course the most likely security issue of
sorts, which I have
have expereinced is having a low life steal your laptop with skype on it

Old November 22nd 06, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" wrote in message
der.co.uk

|[snip]
|
| Skype is an Instant Messaging system, like Yahoo (that
| was doing voice chat AGES before Skype) or MSN.
| It doesn't belong to VoIP, the VoIP protocols are SIP and
| H323.
|
|Actually, much as I hate to admit it, technically it *is* voice over ip..!
|
|BTW there is also IAX.
|
|Ivor

Forgot 'bout IAX, is it a ratified standard like SIP or H323?

Anyway, ever heard about ISO OSI levels? Well, IM (Skype, Yahoo, etc...)
voice traffic doesn't reach the IP ISO OSI level in the TCP stack. Being
a proprietary protocol it stands - by definition - at application level,
aka level 7.
IP protocol is way down
there

▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old November 22nd 06, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Martin▓ popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|I am not Skype user let alone fan,
|but it does carry Voice over Internet Protocol.
|Perhaps this should be uk.telecom.sip.voip group ?
|Regards,
|Martin

I'm on ratified standards, ISO OSI TCP protocol stack levels and so on.
No, IM voice traffic is NOT VoIP (see my follow-up to Ivor post).
I'm NOT against Skype in principle, but it's The Poor Man's choice.
People smart enough to be lurking on a Usenet group should be already
aware of the consequences of UPnP, proprietary protocols and monopolies.
That's why I'm suspicious, how they are so "geek" to be here, and
pretend to be John Doe?

:-?

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid
----------------------------
Old November 22nd 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Puffnstuff popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...

|How sad you are.
Gotcha! Typical reaction of the boy caught red-handed.

Oh, and learn to snip properly... Ever heard of Netiquette?
Ask to Wikipedia...

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid