Demon speed upgrade problem!

Old November 21st 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Demon speed upgrade problem!

Hi All
Just had my 2meg line upgraded(?) to 3meg on friday (they did say upto
8meg but what the hell its fast enough for me when it works!) and
wondered if any other demon user is experiencing problems?.
One minute fine at 2meg+ next minute down to 7k??. I`m just sending
them speedtest results at different times as requested to maybe
register a fault with bt. Tried new filter, unplugging phones,
different sockets,used laptop wireless, desktop wired etc. Been very
good service for over a year hope it doesn`t go tits up now.
Cheers
Steve

Old November 22nd 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All
Just had my 2meg line upgraded(?) to 3meg on friday (they did say upto
8meg but what the hell its fast enough for me when it works!) and
wondered if any other demon user is experiencing problems?.
One minute fine at 2meg+ next minute down to 7k??. I`m just sending
them speedtest results at different times as requested to maybe
register a fault with bt. Tried new filter, unplugging phones,
different sockets,used laptop wireless, desktop wired etc. Been very
good service for over a year hope it doesn`t go tits up now.

You did read the email sent out by Demon, paying special attention to the
bit regarding the 10 day "training period" ?

Old November 22nd 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

Steve wrote:

Hi All
Just had my 2meg line upgraded(?) to 3meg on friday (they did say upto
8meg but what the hell its fast enough for me when it works!) and
wondered if any other demon user is experiencing problems?.

Yes, you're not the only one; but they do say to allow 10 days for the
speeds to settle and apparently one must try to reboot the router daily
during this period.

My 2meg broadband which was working perfectly was upgraded the other
week. The ADSL router always connects at 7616 now, with an uplink of
448.

While the uplink speed has improved, and consistently gets just under
400 in the speed tests, the downlink speed varies hugely.

Often, the downlink speed is at .5meg, which is little faster than the
uplink speed. It tends to be around 1.5meg, which is slower than when I
was on 2meg. Once it went as high as 2.5meg.

A colleague of mine who is also with Demon is having similar issues, and
I am waiting to see what happens. In actual fact, I'll have to say that
I don't really notice the difference in speed, but the fact that it is
varying so much means that I have to keep on running speed tests to see
how well it is performing.

The Demon site does say that 'If after the upgrade the customer feels
that there has been deterioration to their service they will be allowed
to move back to a rate limited product.'
Old November 22nd 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

You did read the email sent out by Demon, paying special attention to the
bit regarding the 10 day "training period" ?

Training (?) period whats to train?.
My email just said that after the 10 day period my connection speed
will be the fastest obtainable.
In the weeks leading up to the upgrade I kept trying the `Demon
upgrade` site which does a quick line test and using the same site many
times got speeds varying rom 3meg up to 6meg quoted that my line could
cope with?. I have no problemo with varying speeds but am getting a lot
of inactivity (can you get a lot of nothing??) no doubt all will pan
out hopefully ok!
Cheers
Steve

Old November 22nd 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 22 Nov 2006 13:49:22 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

Training (?) period whats to train?.

the system learns from your modem behaviour what parameters best suit
the line / modem combination.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 22nd 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 22 Nov 2006, Mark Ingle wrote:

A colleague of mine who is also with Demon is having similar issues, and
I am waiting to see what happens. In actual fact, I'll have to say that
I don't really notice the difference in speed, but the fact that it is
varying so much means that I have to keep on running speed tests to see
how well it is performing.

Please make your mind up - you're waiting to see what happens, but then it
appears that despite not really noticing any difference, you have to "keep
on" running speed tests, to see. I rarely check with a speed test, but a
download of some podcasts once in a while can show I'm getting around 5-6
Mbps (I am simply using the Windows XP task manager to monitor network
traffic, and have the connection going through a 10 Mbps hub, so if it
hits 50% that's 5 Mbps... no special measurements needed :-) Thing
I noticed most was that after checking a half dozen older routers,
only an up-to-date ADSL 2/2+ model (Zyxel, 1-port, in my case) gave
me not only a high sync speed ( Upstream Speed: 448 kbps, Downstream
Speed: 8128 kbps ) but also gave sustained data throughput. The older
models were all showing the high sync speeds, but limited data to ~2 Mbps.

The Demon site does say that 'If after the upgrade the customer feels
that there has been deterioration to their service they will be allowed
to move back to a rate limited product.'

Various other ISPs seem willing to do the same. Someone on PlusNet was
told that if any problems were encountered, to use the private message
facility (on the PUG forum site) and a member of staff would sort it.
(Going back from DSL Max to a 2 Mbps connection).
Old November 23rd 06, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Thanks again chaps.
During this 10 day period should it make a difference using my laptop
wireless (which I usually do) or my desktop wired, can`t say I notice
much speed difference using either?. I also just turn my Lynksys router
on when needed.
Steve

Old November 23rd 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 22 Nov 2006 15:59:52 -0800, "Steve"
wrote:

During this 10 day period should it make a difference using my laptop
wireless (which I usually do) or my desktop wired

no difference, its the modem sync speed that counts not what you do
with the data side of the line.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 23rd 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Yes thanks for that Phil
Just a thought but if a speed\service\reliabilty etc improvement can`t
be guaranteed what exactly is being upgraded and whats the point?
Cheers
Steve

Old November 23rd 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:59:52, Steve wrote:

I also just turn my Lynksys router
on when needed.

Leave it on permanently, at least until you have acquired a good stable
speed.

--
Jim Crowther.

West London MAG: Popes Grotto, Twickenham, every Tuesday from 21:00 onwards.