SFI assist required...

Old November 22nd 06, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

Default SFI assist required...

Hi,

Hopefully Kraftee et al are looking here, I've got a humdinger for you...

I got a call to help out my ex Openreach coach today with an ongoing SFI
problem with a customers fax machine.(I'm BTGS, ex Openreach CSE/SFI asked
to help out on a seperate broadband issue which was proved to mis-op)

Said fax (Samsung SF345TP) can succesfully send and receive to any number,
except head office (let's call it office A)

Office A can receive faxes from all other teleworkers except this
customer-teleworker A.
Office A can send faxes to all teleworkers, including telworker A.

Office A number can be dialled and answered succesfully from teleworker A,
but no "handshake" between the 2 machines - call fails.

Problem has started since DSL installed on teleworker A home line.

Nice and simple ? NO

EVERYTHING - E side,D side and DLI pairs changed, new NTE 2000, new LIC,
lift and shift done - problem remains.He's tried another fax machine at his
end,call fails.

Broadband working OK with Linksys WAG54GS.
Taking the fax machine physically to the MDF and trying it (via DSLAM),
everything OK.
Converting the line to PSTN and trying at the customers premises, everything
OK.(but no broadband, obviously)
Lift & shift done, call fails.
Line gain increased to 5, call fails.
BT80RF3 fitted, call fails.
Faxes sent to all other numbers except office A successful.
Prefix with 1470, call fails.

Fax tone volume from the far end seems a little low compared to speech -
customers far end have been asked to increase acknowledge tone (?) but I
know nowt about fax machines - maybe someone could advise?

My next step would be to set up a local line diverted to office A and try to
send faxes to it - but if anyone has any constructive advice, it would be
much appreciated - ongoing problem for 3 weeks. I'm pulling my hair out, and
I've only been working on it for 4 hrs...

Ali

Old November 22nd 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Zomaar" wrote in message
[...]

Why are you using fax in the 21st century. Why not use email? You can
always scan any documents that exist only on paper.

--
Graham

Old November 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
tony sayer

In article , Graham
writes

"Zomaar" wrote in message
[...]

Yes you can, and I'd love too, but some of our legal and financial
friends can't cope with this new fangled e-mail scan and attach idea as
they don't consider it secure enough!...
Graham

--
Tony Sayer

Old November 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Converting the line to PSTN and trying at the customers premises,
everything OK.(but no broadband, obviously)
Lift & shift done, call fails.

I gave some advice to someone on this NG yesterday who thought they
were having similar problems.

Basically, I told him if he unplugged the router from the line, the DSLAM
would go to sleep, and his line for all intents and purposes would
be back to analogue. Was my advice flawed ?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old November 23rd 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:57:54 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

Basically, I told him if he unplugged the router from the line, the DSLAM
would go to sleep, and his line for all intents and purposes would
be back to analogue. Was my advice flawed ?

not really, with no modem on the line there is no ADSL signal the
DSLAM is just listening.

The wiring is still routed via the DSLAM etc so it isn't the same as a
line without broadband.

Phil
Old November 23rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
P H

What about reversing the line?

Replace NTE5a front plate?

Try line with MLJ 2/1A and normal micro filter.

Get line renumbered to a system X line as I've known several fax machines to
be incompatible with system Y on BB when passed through exchange filters and
end user filters as full bandwidth of tones may be limited.

73's de Phill

Old November 23rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"P H" wrote in message
What about reversing the line?

Replace NTE5a front plate?

Try line with MLJ 2/1A and normal micro filter.

Get line renumbered to a system X line as I've known several fax machines
to be incompatible with system Y on BB when passed through exchange
filters and end user filters as full bandwidth of tones may be limited.

73's de Phill

Thanks to all for your input, it's much appreciated - system X renumber does
sound promising, I'll suggest it tomorrow.

Line reversal, NTE2000, various filters etc...all tried unsuccessfully. I've
also spoken to an ex fax engineer, who's given me a couple of things to try.

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks again, Ali