Skype, SIP and Wi-Fi mobiles

Old November 22nd 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

Default Skype, SIP and Wi-Fi mobiles

Has anybody here had some experience in using VOIP (Skype or SIP based) on a
Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone via free Wi-Fi Hotspots abroad to make free calls
back to UK or anywhere else?
divoch

Old November 22nd 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
divoch wrote:
Has anybody here had some experience in using VOIP (Skype or SIP based) on a
Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone via free Wi-Fi Hotspots abroad to make free calls
back to UK or anywhere else?

I've been using the UT Starcom F1000G WiFi phone for a while now. It's
a bit fiddly to setup, and voice quality might be better, but it does
the job for what I want it for. Not sure it would be good for "serious"
or "corp-rat" business use, but ...

http://www.utstar.com/Solutions/Handsets/WiFi/

And of-course your VoIP experience will only be as good as the Internet
connection you have - so out in the middle of no-where where they only
have an ADSL line then it could be problematic, but I'll find out soon
enough when I travel to Egypt where I know a place I'll be in where I
can get free WiFi access (to a 512Kbps ADSL connection)

A friend of mine has the 3000 model, which is pretty and has a colour
screen, but he seems to have great problems programming it...

Gordon
Old November 22nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
divoch wrote:
[...]

Which SIP service have you used with the phone? I presume it should work
with any SIP based service? I would certainly be interested to hear about
your travel experiences with the phone.
divoch

Old November 22nd 06, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

divoch wrote:
[...]

I run my own Asterisk servers, but I've no reason to think it wouldn't
work with with any of the standard offerings.

It can remember 4 different WiFi Access Points, so I have it set with
the WEP keys of a few places I visit and it generally works out OK. It's
a bit of a fiddle inputting a wep-key via the keypad though, but I have
done it successfully, and you can see the MAC address without powering
it down (it's behind the battery) if you need to for places who also
use MAC address authentication.

Battery life is amazingly long - 3-4 days standby, and talk time is
several hours.

Gordon
Old November 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

divoch wrote:
[...]

Sounds promising. Have you tried any of the free Hotspots? I know there
were some advertised in Krakow and in Prague. I believe they
are low speed, i.e. 64kb/sec. I assume rightly or wrongly, these are open
and do not require WEP keys.
divoch

Old November 22nd 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
divoch wrote:

Sounds promising. Have you tried any of the free Hotspots? I know there
were some advertised in Krakow and in Prague. I believe they
are low speed, i.e. 64kb/sec. I assume rightly or wrongly, these are open
and do not require WEP keys.
divoch

Not yet. The ones that require a login & password might be awkward to
get through though, although there is a sort of login scripting feature,
but I have not looked into it.

It'll use the GSM codec if you ask it to, so that might work on a slow
site which has open access, however WiFi is notoriously bad as passing
a relatively low data rate/high & small packet size sort of load.

If the access point is overloaded I'd expect it to not work very
well at all.

Gordon
Old November 23rd 06, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

divoch wrote:

Sounds promising. Have you tried any of the free Hotspots?

If the access point is overloaded I'd expect it to not work very
well at all.

I think that may well be the main limitation. 64 kb/sec should be OK
if you have it all to yourself but not otherwise
divoch

Old November 23rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

I use Skype or SJPphone on an Acer Windows Mobile PDA. SJphone suffers
unless there is loads of bandwidth but Skype is very clear and usable even
in hotels with mediocre public wi-fi. Occasionally it's crackly or
inconvenient but it beats hell out of getting a huge GSM roaming bill.