wiring RJ45 socket to take RJ11 plug of modem/router?

Old November 22nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mikey Muchos

Default wiring RJ45 socket to take RJ11 plug of modem/router?

Hi, I recently purchased a ADSL splitter master socket faceplate from
I also bought a quad socket faceplate with 1 BT master module and 3
RJ45 modules.

To the "filtered" pins at the back of the new ADSL master socket
faceplate, the original BT 2 pair telephone cable is now connected.
The other end is connected to the BT Master module in the quad socket
faceplate. The phone works fine.

To the unfiltered A & B pins on the back of the faceplate I've
connected the blue pair of a Cat5e cable.
The other end of this cable goes to one of the RJ45 modules in the
quad socket faceplate. I then connected the RJ11 plug of my
router/modem to this RJ45 socket. There is no ADSL signal to the
router/modem. I've tried connecting the cat5e blue pair to pins 4 & 5
on the RJ45 socket module. I've also tried pins 3 & 4. No effect.

For a test I moved the internal phone wires to the unfiltered side of
the splitter faceplate then connected my router/modem to the BT socket
using a filter. The modem worked fine.

So I guess I have the Cat5e wiring wrong at the RJ45 socket or the new
Cat5e cable has a fault. Can anyone please advise?

Mike
--
Regards and best wishes,

Mike
Old November 22nd 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:07:35 +0000, Mikey Muchos
wrote:

To the unfiltered A & B pins on the back of the faceplate I've
connected the blue pair of a Cat5e cable.
The other end of this cable goes to one of the RJ45 modules in the
quad socket faceplate. I then connected the RJ11 plug of my
router/modem to this RJ45 socket. There is no ADSL signal to the
router/modem. I've tried connecting the cat5e blue pair to pins 4 & 5
on the RJ45 socket module. I've also tried pins 3 & 4. No effect.

can you test the electrical connectivity of the centre two on the RJ45
socket to the A/B pair at the other end, or short one end and measure
loop resistance.

If you use an adapter can you get a dialtone off the RJ45 ?

Phil
Old November 22nd 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
William4

So I guess I have the Cat5e wiring wrong at the RJ45 socket or the new
Cat5e cable has a fault. Can anyone please advise?

Mike
--
Regards and best wishes,

You need to use an RJ12 module - and wire pins 3 and 4 to your line
(unfiltered) point.
Use the appropriate plug/socket for the feed - RJ45 implies isdn2 or lan
connection but in your case it is not. I hate to think what a lan port
would do with the main 55v feed up it.

What I'd do is to restore it to a (standard - one adsl one pstn) ADSL
splitter faceplate and, using one pair of a cat5 or appropriate cable, stick
an rj12 plug on each end - one to plug into the faceplate and the other at
you distant modem device (after you've cabled it).

Old November 22nd 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mikey Muchos

wrote:

To the unfiltered A & B pins on the back of the faceplate I've
connected the blue pair of a Cat5e cable.
The other end of this cable goes to one of the RJ45 modules in the
quad socket faceplate. I then connected the RJ11 plug of my
router/modem to this RJ45 socket. There is no ADSL signal to the
router/modem. I've tried connecting the cat5e blue pair to pins 4 & 5
on the RJ45 socket module. I've also tried pins 3 & 4. No effect.

can you test the electrical connectivity of the centre two on the RJ45
socket to the A/B pair at the other end, or short one end and measure
loop resistance.

Thanks yes, I'll do some continuity and other tests.
I was really trying to confirm that it's pins 4 and 5 for the RJ45
module. I've had this confirmed from several sources now.

If you use an adapter can you get a dialtone off the RJ45 ?

No dial tone there, yet if I connect the telephone cable to the
unfiltered side of the splitter faceplate I get the ADSL signal
through that, so it looks like it's probably a faulty run of cat5e
cable to me. I always like to have my logic checked by the more
capable where possible though.:-)

--
Regards and best wishes,

Mike
Old November 22nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mikey Muchos

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:31:58 GMT, "William4" wrote:

So I guess I have the Cat5e wiring wrong at the RJ45 socket or the new
Cat5e cable has a fault. Can anyone please advise?

Mike
--
Regards and best wishes,

You need to use an RJ12 module - and wire pins 3 and 4 to your line
(unfiltered) point.
Use the appropriate plug/socket for the feed - RJ45 implies isdn2 or lan
connection but in your case it is not. I hate to think what a lan port
would do with the main 55v feed up it.

I see your point. It's well made. I was following a cobbled together
model of a setup that I'd managed to glean from my Internet
researches. There is a lot of contradictory opinion to complicate the
issue for a non-techie like me.

What I'd do is to restore it to a (standard - one adsl one pstn) ADSL
splitter faceplate and, using one pair of a cat5 or appropriate cable, stick
an rj12 plug on each end - one to plug into the faceplate and the other at
you distant modem device (after you've cabled it).

Good advice, thanks.
--
Regards and best wishes,

Mike
Old November 22nd 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:18:02 +0000, Mikey Muchos
wrote:

No dial tone there, yet if I connect the telephone cable to the
unfiltered side of the splitter faceplate I get the ADSL signal
through that, so it looks like it's probably a faulty run of cat5e
cable to me.

plenty of other pairs in Cat 5 to use, you only need one :-)

Just in case, the wiring to the filtered faceplate is only that going
to extensions, is it ?

Phil
Old November 23rd 06, 07:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mikey Muchos

wrote:

No dial tone there, yet if I connect the telephone cable to the
unfiltered side of the splitter faceplate I get the ADSL signal
through that, so it looks like it's probably a faulty run of cat5e
cable to me.

plenty of other pairs in Cat 5 to use, you only need one :-)

So true, and now you mention it, possibly a simple solution. Could be
a bit confusing later on for someone though. The filtered phone cables
already have 2 wiring colour schemes intermingled.

Just in case, the wiring to the filtered faceplate is only that going
to extensions, is it ?

Yes, apart from some current testing variations, that's the plan.

--
Regards and best wishes,

Mike