Newbie: Acceptable LAN speed?

Old November 22nd 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PJ

Default Newbie: Acceptable LAN speed?

Apologies if this is a FAQ - this is the first time I've really fiddled
with a LAN, and although I've Google'd, I have yet to find an answer...

.... probably because I don't really know what the question is.

I have a domestic LAN which is basically a couple of computers hanging
off a (second-hand) 3Com SuperStack 3000 10/100Mbps switch (big, noisy,
rackmount thing). All my NICs are 100Mbps capable.

Attempting to copy a CD image from one Windows XP box to another using
Microsoft's SMB 'sharing' protocol results in a peak transfer speed of
roughly 5-6% of the 100Mbps link speed, according to the Windows task
manager. The result is that I'm being quoted something like 200 minutes
to copy a 700MB image from one machine to another - I can FTP 'em off
the net faster than that! Well, almost...

So, is this a reasonable speed, or do I have a problem? I don't know
enough about LAN protocols to know whether or not traffic shaping or
similar features, but even if it does, 5% is a daft speed. Any ideas?

BTW: As with everything on this network, the computers are outdated,
with processors clocked at roughly 700MHz, although they appear to run
XP okay...

One thing on my 'to do' list is to gain telnet access to the 3Com
switch, to see what's going on in there. I've managed to find the user
manual online, but 'nmap' hasn't managed to find its IP address, so I
suppose I'll have to try and gain access via the console port on the
back of the switch, to set it to a more sensible value. Does anyone know
what the default address configuration for these units is? I've been
scanning in the 192.168.*.* range, without success...

Many thanks,

PJ.
Old November 23rd 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

PJ wrote:
[...]

You have a problem.
Quite possibly some of the ports are set to different speeds or duplex
settings , and it needs resetting to factory default.

Assuming you are the same PJ from stourbridge , feel free to pop it round
and I can reset it to factory default for you - you need a serial cable to
plug into the back of it to do this.
You can then get an IP address put on it and can telnet onto it in future to
make any changes
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old November 23rd 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
William4

"PJ" wrote in message
[...]

.... Many thanks,

PJ.

Well 5% of 100Mb/s is 5Mb/s which just equates to half-duplex 10Mb. Quite
right I'd say (except you were thought it was running 100Mb). Are you
really running 100mb/s full duplex? A collision domain should run
half-duplex usually.
You must have a good b/b turn of speed if you get more than that FTP'ing.
I'd check out a flash drive for a CD's worth of copy, might be a quicker (a
little) for this task.
A 10Mb network (1/2) is fine for most things - but you've just experience
number 1 shortfall, ultimate speed for large transfers.