Looking for decent wireless/adsl/modem/router

Old November 22nd 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TonyC

Default Looking for decent wireless/adsl/modem/router

Hi folks,

I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL/Wireless/Modem/Router), I'm
plugged in using ethernet cable downstairs, and 2 PC's upstairs are wireless
using D-Link USB dongles. But I hate this router with a passion, eMule
seems to kill it and the wireless connections drop and wont reconnect at
least once every 24hours, then I have to unplug power to the router it to
get it working again.

I'm looking for a similar alternative, that won't fall flat on it's face
when using eMule. I'll spend upto 70 for the right bit of kit. The
Netgear DG834G seems to fit the bill. Any wise words you good people can
offer me?

Many thanks.

TonyC

Old November 22nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , TonyC
writes

I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL/Wireless/Modem/Router), I'm
plugged in using ethernet cable downstairs, and 2 PC's upstairs are wireless
using D-Link USB dongles. But I hate this router with a passion, eMule
seems to kill it and the wireless connections drop and wont reconnect at
least once every 24hours, then I have to unplug power to the router it to
get it working again.

I'm looking for a similar alternative, that won't fall flat on it's face
when using eMule. I'll spend upto 70 for the right bit of kit. The
Netgear DG834G seems to fit the bill.

that my DG834G dropped the WAN connection and needed power-cycling every
couple of days is why I replaced it with a Draytek - they're not cheap
though :-/

--
dave @ stejonda
Old November 22nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul R

TonyC wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL/Wireless/Modem/Router), I'm
plugged in using ethernet cable downstairs, and 2 PC's upstairs are wireless
using D-Link USB dongles. But I hate this router with a passion, eMule
seems to kill it and the wireless connections drop and wont reconnect at
least once every 24hours, then I have to unplug power to the router it to
get it working again.

I'm looking for a similar alternative, that won't fall flat on it's face
when using eMule. I'll spend upto 70 for the right bit of kit. The
Netgear DG834G seems to fit the bill. Any wise words you good people can
offer me?

Many thanks.

TonyC

I have installed about 8 Netgear DG834G - and haven't had a single
problem - very easy to install and manage.

Paul
Old November 23rd 06, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"TonyC" nospam wrote in message
Hi folks,

I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL/Wireless/Modem/Router), I'm
plugged in using ethernet cable downstairs, and 2 PC's upstairs are
wireless using D-Link USB dongles. But I hate this router with a passion,
eMule seems to kill it and the wireless connections drop and wont
reconnect at least once every 24hours, then I have to unplug power to the
router it to get it working again.

I'm looking for a similar alternative, that won't fall flat on it's face
when using eMule. I'll spend upto 70 for the right bit of kit. The
Netgear DG834G seems to fit the bill. Any wise words you good people can
offer me?

DG834GT here, no problems at all, been up for over a month without a reboot,
I use torrents and shareaza quite a bit, never killed it!

I have only had to power cycle it a few times, and the was pointless, as it
was my ISP's fault.

Sparks...

Old November 23rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 22 Nov 2006, Paul R wrote:

TonyC wrote:

... that won't fall flat on it's face when using eMule.

I have installed about 8 Netgear DG834G - and haven't had a single
problem - very easy to install and manage.

There have been reports in the past about a number of routers, especially
the Netgear models, failing if they are being used with file sharing s/w.

Of the 8 you have installed, how many are being used for 24x7 file sharing
with s/w like BitTorrent or whatever? No problem for general surfing etc.
but as another poster pointed out, it was a problem for him and he's now
using a Draytek. When I saw the original post I decided to hold off my
comment that "70 pounds" and "running smoothly with file sharing" will
be an incompatible combination.
Old November 23rd 06, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Nov 2006, "Sparks" wrote:

as it was my ISP's fault.

Which one (please) and what did they do / not do ?
Old November 23rd 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 23 Nov 2006, "Sparks" wrote:

as it was my ISP's fault.

Which one (please) and what did they do / not do ?

It was UKOnline - but the outage was only for about 15 minutes, at 1am - I
guess either them or BT were doing something in the exchange - I am more
then happy with the service I receive from UKOnline.

Sparks...

Old November 23rd 06, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Nov 2006, "Sparks" wrote:

I am more than happy with the service I receive from UKOnline.

Ah, one of the lucky s*ds who has access at their exchange, I suppose!
Shame coverage has not expanded as much as for some other services...
Old November 23rd 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don

"TonyC" nospam wrote in message
Hi folks,

I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-G604T (ADSL/Wireless/Modem/Router), I'm
plugged in using ethernet cable downstairs, and 2 PC's upstairs are
wireless using D-Link USB dongles. But I hate this router with a passion,
eMule seems to kill it and the wireless connections drop and wont
reconnect at least once every 24hours, then I have to unplug power to the
router it to get it working again.

I'm looking for a similar alternative, that won't fall flat on it's face
when using eMule. I'll spend upto 70 for the right bit of kit. The
Netgear DG834G seems to fit the bill. Any wise words you good people can
offer me?

Many thanks.

TonyC

Netgear DG834G does seem to be quite stable and does have quite a good
wireless range, but it is not without is bad points.

The problems I have seen and proven to be DG834G based are as follows:

1. Does tend to lose the ADSL connection for no apparent reason, but
putting various other Routers in its place cures the problem.

2. Will often fail to update Dynamic DNS and waits until the next cycle
comes around before trying again. This will mean that the Router can be
non-contactable remotely for hours.

Don

Old November 23rd 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TonyC

There have been reports in the past about a number of routers, especially
the Netgear models, failing if they are being used with file sharing s/w.

Of the 8 you have installed, how many are being used for 24x7 file sharing
with s/w like BitTorrent or whatever? No problem for general surfing etc.
but as another poster pointed out, it was a problem for him and he's now
using a Draytek. When I saw the original post I decided to hold off my
comment that "70 pounds" and "running smoothly with file sharing" will
be an incompatible combination.

My previous router used to be a cheapo Origo 8400 which was flawless, no
weird issues at all, eMule certainly never used to kill it. Why would I
have to spend over 70 to get a router that works, does that mean the the
sub 70 aren't fit for purpose? I'd spend a little more if it got me
reliability. Is it a common problem with routers and P2P apps?

Thanks again.

Tony