Advice rqd on initial set-up

Old November 22nd 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Default Advice rqd on initial set-up

Hi All,
Over the last few days I've been "fiddling" with plugging a phone into
my Draytek 2910VG and need some simple(?) advice.

I have registered an account with sipgate for incoming number which
seems to have worked. If I log onto the account page I can see numbers
dialed (which didn't get through due to "insufficient funds") and also
numbers that have attempted to dial the sipgate number.

Sipgate status page says the number/device is not active and the call is
dropped when attempting phone from a regular phone.

On a side note...
I tried on 5 seperate occasions to add money to the sipgate account
(thinking they may need an initial deposit to activate the account) and
every time, the security code (where you phone 10010 or whatever) was
invalid! How mad is that! they don't even want my money when I am
desperate to give it to them. !

TIA
Pete
http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/Polar Heart Rate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Old November 22nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)""
wrote in message
Hi All,
Over the last few days I've been "fiddling" with plugging
a phone into my Draytek 2910VG and need some simple(?)
advice.
I have registered an account with sipgate for incoming
number which seems to have worked. If I log onto the
account page I can see numbers dialed (which didn't get
through due to "insufficient funds") and also numbers
that have attempted to dial the sipgate number.
Sipgate status page says the number/device is not active
and the call is dropped when attempting phone from a
regular phone.

How long since the account was set up..? It can sometimes take a while for
the PSTN number to propagate through the system, also some telcos may not
have added the relevant range to their systems. The active/not active icon
on the website is only valid at the time you log on to the website; click
on Device Details and see if a popup box with your IP address and
equipment details comes up.

On a side note...
I tried on 5 seperate occasions to add money to the
sipgate account (thinking they may need an initial
deposit to activate the account) and every time, the
security code (where you phone 10010 or whatever) was
invalid! How mad is that! they don't even want my money
when I am desperate to give it to them. !

The code is 10002 IIRC and is only required when making a first time
credit by debit/credit card. If you use Paypal you don't need this code.
IIRC there is a known problem with this system, email support and tell
them, they should be able to sort it out for you.

Ivor

Old November 22nd 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ivor Jones wrote:

How long since the account was set up..? It can sometimes take a while for
the PSTN number to propagate through the system, also some telcos may not
have added the relevant range to their systems. The active/not active icon
on the website is only valid at the time you log on to the website; click
on Device Details and see if a popup box with your IP address and
equipment details comes up.

Account was set up about 48 hours ago.
If I click on the device details box it comes up with nothing except
Expires 22.11.2006 00:00h
and...
img src="" alt="" /
in the box below.

The code is 10002 IIRC and is only required when making a first time
credit by debit/credit card. If you use Paypal you don't need this code.
IIRC there is a known problem with this system, email support and tell
them, they should be able to sort it out for you.

It's actually 10200 but to be honest, if I don't need to give them any
money to recieve calls, I won't. I would have been quite happy to make a
one-off payment of even the 10 minimum, but if it is so difficult to
even do that I'm not going to go out of my way to give them money.

Next job is a voipcheap.com account I think
4p / min. to uk mobiles... that's not bad going really is it.
(now done)

Cheers

Old November 22nd 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;) wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

[...]

You sure about that? When I just checked they were showing 0.104 ppm
including VAT on their rates page. You might be looking at euros instead
of GBP. Check the drop down box at the top.

Old November 22nd 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)""
wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:

How long since the account was set up..? It can
sometimes take a while for the PSTN number to propagate
through the system, also some telcos may not have added
the relevant range to their systems. The active/not
active icon on the website is only valid at the time
you log on to the website; click on Device Details and
see if a popup box with your IP address and equipment
details comes up.

Account was set up about 48 hours ago.
If I click on the device details box it comes up with
nothing except Expires 22.11.2006 00:00h
and...
img src="" alt="" /
in the box below.

In that case, is the device actually registered properly..? Can you call
10000 (test number) ok..?

The code is 10002 IIRC and is only required when making
a first time credit by debit/credit card. If you use
Paypal you don't need this code. IIRC there is a known
problem with this system, email support and tell them,
they should be able to sort it out for you.

It's actually 10200 but to be honest, if I don't need to
give them any money to recieve calls, I won't. I would
have been quite happy to make a one-off payment of even
the 10 minimum, but if it is so difficult to even do
that I'm not going to go out of my way to give them
money.

All I can suggest is email support and see what they say.

Next job is a voipcheap.com account I think
4p / min. to uk mobiles... that's not bad going really is
it. (now done)

Not for mobiles, no. However I call them so rarely the price I pay is
fine.

Ivor

Old November 22nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Desk Rabbit formulated on Wednesday :
Next job is a voipcheap.com account I think
4p / min. to uk mobiles... that's not bad going really is it.
(now done)

You sure about that? When I just checked they were showing 0.104 ppm
including VAT on their rates page. You might be looking at euros instead of
GBP. Check the drop down box at the top.

There are two things odd here.

The voipcheap site is generally shown in Euros. 0.04 /is/ quoted,
however, I think the OP has misread the line above as the rate for
non-geos is 0.04.

Mobiles are quoted as E0.06.

Then, if you switch to /p, the rate quoted for UK mobiles shoots up to
0.089 + VAT

I can confirm, however, that I am actually being charged E0.06/min -
which they charge in whole minutes.

Old November 22nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

Jono wrote:
Desk Rabbit formulated on Wednesday :
Next job is a voipcheap.com account I think
4p / min. to uk mobiles... that's not bad going really is it.
(now done)

You sure about that? When I just checked they were showing 0.104 ppm
including VAT on their rates page. You might be looking at euros
instead of GBP. Check the drop down box at the top.

There are two things odd here.

The voipcheap site is generally shown in Euros. 0.04 /is/ quoted,
however, I think the OP has misread the line above as the rate for
non-geos is 0.04.

Mobiles are quoted as E0.06.

Then, if you switch to /p, the rate quoted for UK mobiles shoots up to
0.089 + VAT

I can confirm, however, that I am actually being charged E0.06/min -

Which currently converts to 0.04 ppm. How odd!
Old November 23rd 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
News Reader

Hi,

A quick thing that should be helpful is that freephone (or VoIP) numbers on
most all of these services should always be "dialable" (and free!).

You can use these to test outbound without credit, etc.

Best wishes,

News Reader

k...

Old November 23rd 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Ivor Jones wrote:

All I can suggest is email support and see what they say.

Re-booted the router and everything registered ok.

Next job is a voipcheap.com account I think
4p / min. to uk mobiles... that's not bad going really is
it. (now done)

Not for mobiles, no. However I call them so rarely the price I pay is
fine.

The only downside with using voipcheap.com is lack of caler ID.
It just shows as "out of area" which is a bit of a pain.

I'll have to see how things go. Oh, and not wanting to jump on the
"Sipgate is evil" band waggon but.... being forced to use MS Internet
explorer to log on to my account because firefox just sits there with a
blank screen is a real pain, which is a shame as the interface is pretty
good (except for trying to find the tab to credit account)

Old November 23rd 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk )

Jono wrote:

The voipcheap site is generally shown in Euros. 0.04 /is/ quoted,
however, I think the OP has misread the line above as the rate for
non-geos is 0.04.

Mobiles are quoted as E0.06.

Then, if you switch to /p, the rate quoted for UK mobiles shoots up to
0.089 + VAT

I can confirm, however, that I am actually being charged E0.06/min -
which they charge in whole minutes.

I think the error occurs because the "conversion" rate is no doubt
manually entered and hasn't been updated for a long while.
Ignore it it's completely meaningless.

The fact is you pay to your account in Euros the actual cost is
determined by what conversion rate your credit card gives you at the
time. I have always found C.C. rates pretty close to actual rates, so...

xe.com Universal Currency Converter Results
Live mid-market rates as of 2006.11.23 09:57:26 UTC.
0.06 EUR Euro = 0.0406402 GBP United Kingdom Pounds

Charge hasn't dropped into my C.C. account yet so I don't know _exactly_
what it cost but it will be close enough not to be be losing sleep about.

:)