Help request NTL to BT

Old November 22nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
charybdis

Default Help request NTL to BT

I have NTL cable broadband and whilst I have no problems with it, I want to
go wireless. After a couple of weeks perusing the net, BT seem to be the
best overall and I am considering option 2 or 3 (still not sure what the
benefits of 3 are), but before I take the plunge wonder if anyone has any
advice, please. I don't download music or videos. I would be very grateful
for any opinions.

TIA

--
Mary S

Old November 22nd 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

charybdis wrote:
I have NTL cable broadband and whilst I have no problems with it, I want to
go wireless. After a couple of weeks perusing the net, BT seem to be the
best overall and I am considering option 2 or 3 (still not sure what the
benefits of 3 are), but before I take the plunge wonder if anyone has any
advice, please. I don't download music or videos. I would be very grateful
for any opinions.

TIA

No idea why you think you need to change ISP's just to go wireless.

All you need is to buy a wireless router and some simple configuration
and Bob's your uncle.

Whats your current setup ie just a usb/RJ45 modem or do you have an
existing router.

Also note technology is different for ADSL and Cable (ie will need a
different modem/router)

Regards

Alan
Old November 22nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
charybdis

Alan wrote:
charybdis wrote:
[...]

Really not sure what I have, I'm in a flat and it is cable, with a little
silver box with wires going in all directions. I just wanted to be rid of
all the cables and wires (grrrrrr...) Think I am getting out of my depth,
but will persevere with looking into the modem/router.

Thank you Alan and Jon, you may have saved me from a mistake, back to the
drawing-board and more checking
--
Mary S

Old November 23rd 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"charybdis" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
charybdis wrote:
[...]

You just need to get a cable router, not an ADSL router.

You will also need a wireless adaptor for your PC.

they are easy to setup, but then you need to secure it, so your neighbours
can't use your connection - where in the country are you? Lewisham?

Sparks...

Old November 23rd 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

"charybdis" wrote in message
Alan wrote:
charybdis wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't go from NTL to BT - Started with BTinternet years ago on dialup
with loads of downtime - Changed to NTL on advice of a member of BTinternet
helpline staff who was more than helpful - 6 years later and having to
leave NTL for adsl as we only have BT lines - Going with Virgin who are of
course linked with NTL - 19.99 pm 8MB unlimited with fair useage + free
evening & weekend phone calls and free wireless router thrown in. Bonus
being that they have kept me uptodate with all information about why BT are
holding the job up and so far none of the staff have been in India. - Mick