Newsgroups

Old November 23rd 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Default Newsgroups

I monitor a number of NewsGroups from a number of NewsGroup servers. I
would like to reduce the number of NewsGroup servers by consolidating the
NGs.

Is there a source from which I can find the NewsGroups available from
NewsGroup servers?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Old November 23rd 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
I monitor a number of NewsGroups from a number of NewsGroup servers. I
would like to reduce the number of NewsGroup servers by consolidating the
NGs.

Is there a source from which I can find the NewsGroups available from
NewsGroup servers?

The news server should respond to a LIST command (which by default, with no
group selected should generate a list of groups with their article numbers and
moderation status (see the details on the NNTP protocol in RFC2980, which
updates the significantly older RFC977)

You should be able to write some fairly simple code that will capture that
output. In the time it would take me to code it in, say, C, someone will have
proved that there is more than one way to do it in PERL.