Estimated stable line rate?

Old November 23rd 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jailtime

Default Estimated stable line rate?

Hi,

My Eclipse 'max' service went live today. The sync speed is 5.4 mb.

About 4 days ago (before broadband was activated on the line) I noticed, via
the eclipse control panel, that an estimated stable line rate of 2.272 mb
had been set - which I found odd since there was no data on which to base
those figures.

I contacted Eclipse, but they didn't know why the figure had been applied to
the line (nor who had applied it)

Today, the download speeds from known fast UK servers (Ubuntu) are in the
region of 2.5 mb - although the reported line speed is 5.4mb on the Eclipse
control panel, and 6 mb on the router control panel.

The actual download speed being achieved seems suspiciously close to the
2.272 stable line figure - although Eclipse assure me that the stable line
rate figure could have no effect on actual download speed.

Is this correct - and how could any estimated stable speed be applied to a
line that was still dormant at the time? (and would the 2.272 mb fgure have
been applied by BT or by Eclipse?)

thanks

Old November 23rd 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don

"Jailtime" wrote in message
[...]

The estimated stable line speed and the file transfer speed from Ubuntu are
pure coincidence.

You are probably going to be fine. Try the BT Speedtest at 3AM and you will
see that your connection is indeed fast.

Unfortunately you are sharing the internet with one or two others during the
day ;-)

Don

Old November 23rd 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Jailtime wrote:
Hi,

My Eclipse 'max' service went live today. The sync speed is 5.4 mb.

About 4 days ago (before broadband was activated on the line) I noticed, via
the eclipse control panel, that an estimated stable line rate of 2.272 mb
had been set - which I found odd since there was no data on which to base
those figures.

If you previously had 2Mbit non-rate-adaptive ADSL, 2272kbit is the ATM line
rate for 2Mbit lines. The additional 272k is accounted for by ATM encapsulation
overheads. Your actual 'content' transfer rate will be significantly lower than
the line rate, because the data is wrapped in IP packets (which have headers),
which is wrapped in PPP packets (which have headers) which are wrapped in ATM
frames (which have headers). etc.
Old November 23rd 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Nov 2006, "Jailtime" wrote:

My Eclipse 'max' service went live today.

I'd leave it "settle down" for a couple of weeks then, before asking
too much about what puzzles you concerning any speed "issues".
Old November 23rd 06, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jailtime

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 23 Nov 2006, "Jailtime" wrote:

My Eclipse 'max' service went live today.

I'd leave it "settle down" for a couple of weeks then, before asking
too much about what puzzles you concerning any speed "issues".

What 'puzzles' me is *how* an adsl stable rate could be determined, or even
approximated, on a line that was not (at that time) adsl enabled.

If you don't know - fair enough, but spare me the withering advice and
inverted comma's, eh?

Old November 23rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jailtime

"Jim Howes" wrote in message
Jailtime wrote:
[...]

Thanks - the line in question was not ADSL activated at the time that the
stable line rate was set. I did/do have another line which has been ADSL
enabled since May - and this line has never had a stable rate applied to it.

Yet the other line somehow managed to acquire a stable rate, even before it
was activated, weird.

Useful info about the 2272 figure . 2mb connections - but, as I say, the
line in question had never been ADSL activated before.

Old November 23rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Nov 2006, "Jailtime" wrote:

an adsl stable rate could be determined, or even approximated, on
a line that was not (at that time) adsl enabled.

I've no doubt if you did a bit more searching (or perhaps asking) on
either the PlusNet "official" forum or the User Group one (available
via http://usergroup.plus.net/) you will learn that everyone on PAYG
was initially showing 8000 kbps as their stable rate. Things change
over time, but you should perhaps take portal information as having
no guarantee of accuracy... sad, but surely not confined to PN.
Old November 23rd 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jailtime

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
news
On 23 Nov 2006, "Jailtime" wrote:

an adsl stable rate could be determined, or even approximated, on
a line that was not (at that time) adsl enabled.

I've no doubt if you did a bit more searching (or perhaps asking) on
either the PlusNet "official" forum or the User Group one (available
via http://usergroup.plus.net/) you will learn that everyone on PAYG
was initially showing 8000 kbps as their stable rate. Things change
over time, but you should perhaps take portal information as having
no guarantee of accuracy... sad, but surely not confined to PN.

I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my keyboard - I typed
'Eclipse', yet it apparently translated itself as 'Plusnet', and I also
typed 'ADSL', yet it seems to have mysteriously appeared as 'PAYG'

Odd.

Old November 23rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Nov 2006, "Jailtime" wrote:

I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my keyboard ...

No, clearly my mistake. However, as it happens, I'm using Eclipse, but
will happily repeat that ISP portal information might need to be taken
"with a pinch of salt". In my case, despite having used DSL Max for a
number of months, it currently (and has always said) "not set" for the
Estimated Stable Line Rate. Perhaps I should simply ignore any posts
on the subject of 'it's not fast enough' or 'the figures seem wrong'
so my experience with different ISPs will not confuse or bore others.

My current line rate is shown as 8,128 kb/s (last updated 08/10/2006)
which is in line with the router stats, so that bit I trust :-))
Old November 23rd 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jailtime

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 23 Nov 2006, "Jailtime" wrote:

I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my keyboard ...

No, clearly my mistake. However, as it happens, I'm using Eclipse, but
will happily repeat that ISP portal information might need to be taken
"with a pinch of salt".

Agreed - but, in this case, the stable rate information appeared BEFORE the
line was active, which is my point.

I also have another Eclipse connection that has (like yours) never been
allocated a stable line rate - so why on earth would a SLR appear on a line
that wasn't even active?

(phew)

My current line rate is shown as 8,128 kb/s (last updated 08/10/2006)
which is in line with the router stats, so that bit I trust :-))

Luck man - 5.5mb will be tops, I think.