Draytek Vigor 2600 stuck in TFTP Mode

Old November 23rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Draytek Vigor 2600 stuck in TFTP Mode

Hopefully someone out there can help. I recently purchased a Vigor 2600
router to install into my Dad's house. I myself use a Vigor 2600G and
decided to get him one so that I could easily setup LAN to LAN VPN's
etc.

Anyway I purchased off ebay as I was happy with the 2600 rather than
the latest model. It worked fine on arrival, but I noticed that the
firmware was a couple of years out of date. I downloaded the latest
firmware from the website and used the firmware upgrade utility to do
the job. It looked like the process was going okay, but at the end of
the process I got a 'response timeout message' from the router.

Since that point the router only boots into TFTP mode (the mode
necessary to receive the firmware). All of my attempts to upgrade the
firmware have failed. I have tried to use the TFTP utility to upgrade
and it gives me an 'upgrade complete' message, but the router remains
in TFTP mode. I have asked a technical question of Draytek but have not
heard anything yet.

Any help or advise anyone has would be appreciated.

Old November 24th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Can you try using the "router tools" utility on drayteks site to carry
out the upgrade?

I'm also assuming you've tried the hard reset button on the back of it.
--
Regards
Jon

I have followed the instructions and used the utilities from the
draytek site. The reset button does not seem to do anything as the
router already boots into TFTP mode.

After much time spent exploring the draytek forums I am going to try
the update with an earlier version of the firmware and see if it holds
it.

Old November 24th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

You gave read this:-
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...h.html#reflash ?

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I believe that I followed these instructions to the letter.

Old November 24th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wombat

Did you use a wired connection or a wireless connection to do the
upgrade. I had this problem when using a wireless link about 2 years
ago, fixed by re-applying the upgrade over a wored link.

Wombat

Old November 24th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
linker3000

wrote:
[...]

If you have followed all the procedures for reflashing with the tools
and also the 'original' TFTP method AND you have tried a normal reset
AND you have tried an 'energency' reset (power on with reset button
already held down and keep it down for abotu 20 secs) then, I'm afraid
you are running out of options. I spent about half a day trying to get a
2600+ router working again before sending it back - guess what - to the
eBay seller!

I guess you have already been he

http://www.support.draytek.co.uk/kb_...h.html#reflash

Good luck

Old November 24th 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I have now tried various firmware
versions all to no avail. After heavy research of the draytek forums I
have discovered that this situation is not that uncommon and it can
often be blind luck whether or not the firmware decides to 'stick'. I
am going to keep at it and if I still have no luck in a few days i'll
sell it as faulty and get another one.

It is a shame that the draytek routers have these issues every now and
again as they are excellent in every other respect

Old November 25th 06, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nemo2

On 23 Nov 2006 12:12:29 -0800, wrote:

[...]

roolard,

I had a similar problem with a 2800. I managed to solve it by using
the *.rst file rather than the *.all file. The *.rst file resets all
the setting to default and it appears that my problem was with the
setting so using the *.all file didn't help as it didn't reset the
settimgs.

Good luck

nemo2
Old December 2nd 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi there

Just to finish this thread off, I sent my router back to Draytek under
their 'Out of warranty' service. They charge 20 to diagnose, fix the
problem and return the router to you. Not too bad a price really.

Thanks for everyones help and advice on this matter.