Can't connect via Broadband.

Old November 23rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sla#s

Default Can't connect via Broadband.

My Plusnet broadband account has recently stopped being able to connect to
firstly the news server 'news.grc.com' and secondly to any p2p.
However it connects to both without any problems via dial-up.
It was OK last month. and I am not being throttled for over usage - After
all I can't use!
The GRC news server pings OK from both the PC and direct from the router on
broadband (160ms with 0% packet loss)and dial-up (300ms with 0% packet
loss).
Plusnet claim the grc server is down but GRC say it is not, as do many of
it's users and as I have no problems connecting on dial up that is obviously
not true. On the other hand it does shows that the Plusnet support are
having the problem too.
In a thread on the GRC server one another Plusnet user is having problems
but several others have none.
It was mentioned that Plusnet have blocked some news servers (?) and many
p2p services.
The Plusnet help & support have not helped.

Can anyone here help?

TIA
Slatts

Old November 23rd 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Great Eastern

Sla#s wrote:
It was mentioned that Plusnet have blocked some news servers (?) and many
p2p services.
The Plusnet help & support have not helped.

That sounds about right, For example at Home I have PlusNet Broadband
and FTP is slower than at work, which uses PlusNet Dialup!
Old November 23rd 06, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sla#s

Great Eastern wrote:
Sla#s wrote:
It was mentioned that Plusnet have blocked some news servers (?) and
many p2p services.
The Plusnet help & support have not helped.

That sounds about right, For example at Home I have PlusNet Broadband
and FTP is slower than at work, which uses PlusNet Dialup!

Jeeez...!
Pity they were good only a few months ago :-(

Guess it time to get the MAC then!

Any good ISPs doing unlimited offpeak 8mb?
Or are the "good old days" past?

Slatts

Old November 24th 06, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"Sla#s" wrote in message
[...]

Port blocking or throttling is the sign of a failing business - they can't
offer the level of service they claim. Make sure you have not incorrectly
set the programs to work on your dial up connection rather than broadband.
That might explain why they are not connecting, they will be looking for the
dial up connection.

Old November 24th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"Sla#s" wrote in message
Great Eastern wrote:
Sla#s wrote:
It was mentioned that Plusnet have blocked some news servers (?) and
many p2p services.
The Plusnet help & support have not helped.

That sounds about right, For example at Home I have PlusNet Broadband
and FTP is slower than at work, which uses PlusNet Dialup!

Jeeez...!
Pity they were good only a few months ago :-(

Guess it time to get the MAC then!

Any good ISPs doing unlimited offpeak 8mb?
Or are the "good old days" past?

Slatts

Loads. Tiscali do for 17-99 a month. Just don't use P2P between 6pm nd
11pm. The rest of the time do what you like. I get the full 8Mb/s download
from decent sites. P2P depends on how fast people can upload.

Old November 24th 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:53:36 -0000, "Ron" wrote:

Tiscali do for 17-99 a month.

he said "any good ISPs"

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 25th 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sla#s

Ron wrote:
SNIP
Port blocking or throttling is the sign of a failing business - they
can't offer the level of service they claim. Make sure you have not
incorrectly set the programs to work on your dial up connection
rather than broadband. That might explain why they are not
connecting, they will be looking for the dial up connection.

It was all working OK until the beginning of the month when the blocking
started.

How would, for example, Utorrent be configured to look for Dialup?
It was downloading OK last month and it does start to now but then stops.
So it must be still configured OK - port forwarded etc. hasn't changed.

Slatts