Almost at an end with VOIP

Old November 23rd 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

Default Almost at an end with VOIP

For a couple of months now, I have been using Sipgate as my telecom
provider with a mobile as backup.

I usewd to have an NTL phone line.

I have NTL 4Mb service on my broadband - the computer is often switched
off most of the day.

I use a Sipura 1001 ATA connected to a Belkin wireless router via a
Teryon modem.

I have tried all sorts of settings in the Sipura config to rid myself
of the problem - but my wife and family are demanding a return to NTL
phone line as the Sipgate service constantly drops fragments of
conversation - and as cheap as it is compared to alndline rentakl, it's
no damn good if you cannot hold a conversation.

I'm desperately holding out against the family as I love technology and
this SHOULD work!

Any last gasp ideas abouit what the problem might be? I have switched
codecs / enabled / disbaled QoS / done this and that re jitter levels
and all sorts.

Anybody else had this issue and managed to sort it?

Regards

Mick

Old November 23rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Not much consolation but I have same setup with NTL 4Mbs (except ATA is an
SPA3000) and it all works pretty well except for reasonably frequent
inability to make immediate outgoing calls and have to redial a few times.
My wife doesn't like it as much as analog landline but can live with it and
she does agree it's insanely cost-effective.

1. Why not try it without the router in the chain? Plug the ATA directly
into the cable modem to see if it works better.

2. Scrounge up a borrow of a different ATA or try X-lite (the real one not
the Sipgate customised one) on a PC, see if it gets better/worse.

Only a guess but I would blame the router or ATA hardware rather than NTL
service, especially since it sounds like you seriously tried to eliminate
dodgy config.

Joe

Old November 23rd 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Mick was thinking very hard :
[...]

Why not make a one off outlay and buy an adapter from www.voip.co.uk,
and using their service. I have had no problems.

I suspect part of your problems may be because the adapter is plugged
into the router, it is better if the adapter sits between the modem and
router.

Old November 23rd 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:23:12 GMT, ACDeag
wrote:

Mick was thinking very hard :
[...]

There is nothing wrong with the SPA 1001.
There is nothing wrong with SIP voip.
It is likely that there is nothing wrong with your NTL connection.
However, you were unlucky in picking SIPGATE - you only need to Google
the groups to find the mass dissatifaction with Sipgate (sorry Ivor).
Sipgate was the first voip service I tried and I soon gave it up,
others have done the same.
As suggested why not try voip.co.uk. I never get any problems calling
out. I don't use them for incoming calls but I have no reason to
believe that there will be any problems.
I do appreciate the 'family' problem. One of my relations was
considering moving over to voip until 'she who must be obeyed' stepped
in.
Another good, reliable, company is voipfone - but not as good a deal
as voip.co.uk for UK calls.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 23rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Mick wrote:
[...]

I too am on NTL 4mb using voip.co.uk for my incoming VoIP calls,
voipdiscount for outgoing.. I have cancelled the NTL line and must say
its working pretty well. I have a PAP2 connected to a D-Link router, so
similar setup to you. Why not sign up with one of the other free
providers and see if the problem is sipgate? Its unlikely, but you
never know.
Old November 23rd 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Brian A wrote:
As suggested why not try voip.co.uk. I never get any problems calling
out. I don't use them for incoming calls but I have no reason to
believe that there will be any problems.

Well, I only use them only for incoming, without any problems what so
ever.. I guess that confirms what you were saying.
Old November 23rd 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick

ACDeag wrote:

Mick was thinking very hard :
[...]

Folks

Thnaks for all the replies - I'm now very seriously considering a move
to voip.co.uk - but I'm also interested in how I might place my ATA
between the modem and router.
Just how would I do this? At present I have an ethernet cable from the
modem to the router - can't see how to 'break' into this.

Regards

Mick

Old November 23rd 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rune

Mick wrote:
Thnaks for all the replies - I'm now very seriously considering a move
to voip.co.uk - but I'm also interested in how I might place my ATA
between the modem and router.
Just how would I do this? At present I have an ethernet cable from the
modem to the router - can't see how to 'break' into this.

Im not sure if you can connect the Sipura 1001 between the modem and the
router, as it does not have a router itself.. Perhaps if you connected a
switch to the modem and then connect the router and Sipura 1001 to
that.. Somebody please confirm this.

But before buying more hardware try voip.co.uk, it might not be anything
to do with the connection.
Old November 23rd 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:39:26 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

but I'm also interested in how I might place my ATA
between the modem and router.
Just how would I do this? At present I have an ethernet cable from the
modem to the router - can't see how to 'break' into this.

ATAs designed to be so placed have a WAN ethernet socket (connects to
your cable modem) and a LAN ethernet socket (connects to your router.

So it plugs in between the modem and the router.

The BT Voyager 10V and other devices do this, the two ethernet ports
are the key.

On your general issue, cable broadband is a bit thin upstream - what
is your rated service speed and what does it speedtest at with the
speedtest.bbmax.co.uk or andslguide.org.uk testers.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 23rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ACDeag

Mick wrote on 23/11/2006 :
[...]

Have you added the Sipura to the router's DMZ that may solve your
problems as well.