BT Option 2 Phone Usage

Old November 23rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default BT Option 2 Phone Usage

I am considering BT's broadband Option2 but find the web site details
a wee bit confusing.

They say free evening and weekend calls but this is apparently via the
internet; I am not sure what I need to supply and pay for with this
option.

Geoff Lane

Old November 23rd 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Nov 2006, Geoff Lane wrote:

They say free evening and weekend calls but this is apparently via the
internet; I am not sure what I need to supply and pay for with this

Some time back they were selling a cheap headset for a fiver with not P+P
charges on top. You'd (probably - I have not checked) be using their VoIP
service, to make the calls. You _may_ be able to also have incoming calls
(but using an 055xx numbers, and callers would be charged at about 5p/min
with that rate charged at all times, from a BT landline, so not ideal!)
Old November 24th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I am considering BT's broadband Option2 but find the web site details
a wee bit confusing.

They say free evening and weekend calls but this is apparently via the
internet; I am not sure what I need to supply and pay for with this
option.

Geoff Lane

BTBB Opt2 comes with the BT Home Hub (as seen on TV ads). The Hub has a
telephone socket on the back into which you can connect a normal handset or
cordless phone etc. The Hub can be configured with a broadband talk number
for making the said free internet calls. You can buy into the Home Hub Phone
but a standard DECT cordless works just as well. If you go for this option
remember to ask for a local number on the broadband talk line other wise you
will get a 05602xxxxxx currently. The Hub can be connected to your PC via
ethernet, wireless 802.11g or USB and comes with two micro filters in the
box. BT will even send out an Engineer to install the Hub, Norton software
and email account on your PC if you like.

Hope this information is of some help.

73's de Phill.

Old November 24th 06, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 23:39:03 -0000, "P H"
wrote:

BT will even send out an Engineer to install the Hub, Norton software
and email account on your PC if you like.

and presumably if you pay :-)

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 24th 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message

BT will even send out an Engineer to install the Hub, Norton software
and email account on your PC if you like.

and presumably if you pay :-)

Why, would you expect them to send out an Engineer for free to complete this
type of task ?

Current cost of this is £50 IIRC which isn't that bad a deal if you are
"non-tech" minded and would have need of this service.

Old November 24th 06, 03:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 24 Nov 2006, "P H" wrote:

Why, would you expect them to send out an Engineer for free to complete
this type of task ?

Presumably you didn't register interest in getting ADSL from BT Openworld
(or whatever they were calling themselves back in 2000) because at that
time the engineer-install for ADSL was a hefty sum (circa 250 pounds,
BICBW) and they were willing to cover that cost for anyone who showed
interest in using their service and who signed up before 30/06/2000.

So they have been known to do things with no associated charge, making
it not such a daft possibility...
Old November 24th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:30:48 -0000, "P H"
wrote:

Why, would you expect them to send out an Engineer for free to complete this
type of task ?

not at all, but for completeness its handy to say "for £xx they will
come and do this" rather than "they'll do this if you like" which may
create the wrong impression and make it appear an inclusive feature of
the service.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 24th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
charybdis

wrote:

Why, would you expect them to send out an Engineer for free to
complete this type of task ?

not at all, but for completeness its handy to say "for £xx they will
come and do this" rather than "they'll do this if you like" which may
create the wrong impression and make it appear an inclusive feature of
the service.

Phil

As I was about to get the very same thing, I noticed for someone to call, it
is £75 for the first hour and £25 per hour after. Thanks to kind persons
here, I am sticking with NTL, which I have had very little problem with in
years (usually when they are doing scheduled maintenance).
--
Mary S

Old November 24th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
On 24 Nov 2006, "P H" wrote:

Presumably you didn't register interest in getting ADSL from BT Openworld
(or whatever they were calling themselves back in 2000)

No I didn't register with BTOW at the time as there was no planed rollout
for my exchange until 2003, I had to plod along with Home Hiway for the time
being, but I was aware of this offer. A charge was made for the visit, just
it wasn't passed on to the end user aka customer. However the current offer
is different, BTInternet / Openworld / Retail or which ever name it is this
week are contracting out the work to BT GlobalServices and the small charge
of £50 is being passed on to the end user aka customer for the work.

73's de Phill

Old November 24th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

point taken..