Connection dropping

Old November 24th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Default Connection dropping

I (and others on this NG) have a problem with my connection to the broadband
being dropped (sometimes every few minutes). These queries are dealt with
on an individual basis. However, I was wondering if there is a source
(preferably not in too much technical detail) which can be referred to for
information on the subject.
Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old November 24th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

Have a look at this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

Old November 24th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Thanks. That link was spot on.

I have read the page on "SNR problems" and used Dr Speedtouch to get a print
of 'line stats' -
ReceiveAttenuation_db=40
ReceiveMargin_db=12
Send attenuation_db=23
Send Margin_db=30

What can I do now? Do these stats indicate that the modem is not up to the
job of connecting up to, say, 5.6Mbps? How can I use this information to
persuade Orange what to do? They don't seem to have much of a clue so if I
can steer them in the right direction so much the better!

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old November 25th 06, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ed

"Ed" wrote in message

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
I (and others on this NG) have a problem with my connection to the
broadband being dropped (sometimes every few minutes). These queries are
dealt with on an individual basis. However, I was wondering if there is a
source (preferably not in too much technical detail) which can be referred
to for information on the subject.
Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Have a look at this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

I would sugest you go to kitz forums and ask, they sorted my problems B.T
moved my main socket nearer my computer (from the loft) and I purchased a
Netgear DG834G modem router my stats are as below and all works fine . I
am no expert but kitz and friends are. Plusnet aranged for B.T to move
the socket no charge

System Up Time 00:31:03
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1135 1360 0 112 671 00:29:51
LAN 10M/100M 80 0 0 6 0 00:30:59
WLAN 11M/54M 1990 1726 0 814 144 00:30:50

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 19 db

http://ccgi.kitz.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=141.0

Old November 25th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Thanks. That link was spot on.

I have read the page on "SNR problems" and used Dr Speedtouch to get a
print of 'line stats' -
ReceiveAttenuation_db=40
ReceiveMargin_db=12
Send attenuation_db=23
Send Margin_db=30

What can I do now? Do these stats indicate that the modem is not up to
the job of connecting up to, say, 5.6Mbps? How can I use this information
to persuade Orange what to do? They don't seem to have much of a clue so
if I can steer them in the right direction so much the better!

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Assuming you're using a bog-standard Speedtouch modem rather than a router
(like me) have you upgraded to the latest driver?
When I went on BT MAX I upgraded mine and everything works here OK.

George

Old November 25th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Thanks George. Already have the latest driver.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old November 25th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:41:17 -0000, "Bill Ridgeway"
wrote:

ReceiveAttenuation_db=40
ReceiveMargin_db=12
Send attenuation_db=23
Send Margin_db=30

seems reasonable.

What can I do now? Do these stats indicate that the modem is not up to the
job of connecting up to, say, 5.6Mbps? How can I use this information to
persuade Orange what to do? They don't seem to have much of a clue so if I
can steer them in the right direction so much the better!

its a wires only service. If the kit at your end isn't holding onto
the line time to try some different kit. A router based on a TI AR7
chipset for example (Netgear 834, Zyxel and other models)
alternatively a Speedtouch router like the 5x6 series.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.