Skype ate my PC

Old November 24th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

Default Skype ate my PC

Went into the office and found the PC chomping away at something,
Netmeter showed 6 kbytes/s traffic both up and down.

IPtools showed 14 screens of TCP connections to skype.exe processes,
at least 400 active connections to a huge range of external IPs.

Router firewall reported 2000 active streams (its limit) rebooted it
with a new limit of 2500 and they were quickly filled up too.

Email and web browsing very unreliable, lots of timeouts.

Looked like dear old 192.168.0.35 had become part of Skype's
infrastructure again. Couldn't even make a Skype call as it couldn't
find a proxy ! bit off when it overloads the system to the point where
it can't work itself.

Such is life, Skype get paid millions by Ebay and I get to provide an
infinitesimal part of their infrastructure :-)

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 24th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The s-Bray

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
Went into the office and found the PC chomping away at something,
Netmeter showed 6 kbytes/s traffic both up and down.

IPtools showed 14 screens of TCP connections to skype.exe processes,
at least 400 active connections to a huge range of external IPs.

Router firewall reported 2000 active streams (its limit) rebooted it
with a new limit of 2500 and they were quickly filled up too.

Email and web browsing very unreliable, lots of timeouts.

Looked like dear old 192.168.0.35 had become part of Skype's
infrastructure again. Couldn't even make a Skype call as it couldn't
find a proxy ! bit off when it overloads the system to the point where
it can't work itself.

Such is life, Skype get paid millions by Ebay and I get to provide an
infinitesimal part of their infrastructure :-)

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))

Skpe uses your PC as a supernode. Search Skype's website for supernode.

Old November 24th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Philip old boy, wasn't it you a week or so ago that described Skype
as [quote] "a dead end, so we're not going there" ?

Tell us it was an imposter who installed this parasite on your office
PC and regain your credibility with the Group!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 24th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:50:17 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

Tell us it was an imposter who installed this parasite on your office
PC and regain your credibility with the Group!

you have to test these things out to understand how they work and
their impact, then figure out how to solve any problems that arise.
Otherwise when asked for advice I wouldn't have a clue.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 24th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:50:17 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

Tell us it was an imposter who installed this parasite on your office
PC and regain your credibility with the Group!

you have to test these things out to understand how they work and
their impact, then figure out how to solve any problems that arise.
Otherwise when asked for advice I wouldn't have a clue.

Phil

Good answer.
I have a spare expendable system for experiments like that.
Its amazing what Win98 will pick up if left in the DMZ for
an hour or two.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 29th 06, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:00:06 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

Went into the office and found the PC chomping away at something,
Netmeter showed 6 kbytes/s traffic both up and down.

IPtools showed 14 screens of TCP connections to skype.exe processes,
at least 400 active connections to a huge range of external IPs.

Router firewall reported 2000 active streams (its limit) rebooted it
with a new limit of 2500 and they were quickly filled up too.

Email and web browsing very unreliable, lots of timeouts.

Looked like dear old 192.168.0.35 had become part of Skype's
infrastructure again. Couldn't even make a Skype call as it couldn't
find a proxy ! bit off when it overloads the system to the point where
it can't work itself.

Such is life, Skype get paid millions by Ebay and I get to provide an
infinitesimal part of their infrastructure :-)

Phil

The Skype Network Administrators guide claims that you shouldn't
notice any decrease in performance when being used as a supernode.
Clearly their claim just isn't true.

"In addition, given the strict bandwidth limit placed on supernodes
and relay hosts, Skype end users cannot tell the difference beween a
given computer being used as a regular Skype node, supernode, or relay
host because the capabilities required to support the additional
functionality are transparent and have no noticable impact on a given
computer's performance."

See http://www.skype.com/security/guide-...ins-30beta.pdf
for full details.
Old December 17th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul W

I run Skype 24x7 and have done so for the last two years.

I have never suffered any such problems so can only assume it must be your
local configuration :-)

Old December 17th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul W" wrote in message

I run Skype 24x7 and have done so for the last two years.

I have never suffered any such problems so can only
assume it must be your local configuration :-)

There seems to be a problem with the configuration of your newsreader,
it's top posting..!

Ivor

Old December 18th 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:19:05 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Paul W" wrote in message

I run Skype 24x7 and have done so for the last two
years.

I have never suffered any such problems so can only
assume it must be your local configuration :-)

There seems to be a problem with the configuration of
your newsreader, it's top posting..!

Ivor

******

Ah, the old "I know I'm wrong so I'll swear" defence.

It doesn't work.

plonk

Ivor