Does ADSL 2+ Behave the same as MaxDSL ?

Old November 25th 06, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

Default Does ADSL 2+ Behave the same as MaxDSL ?

I guess not but anyone enlighten me ?! My current maxdsl offering from fast4
is all over the place currently 15k downloads some days others up to 530k
others 110k

If I manage to find a good adsl2+ supplier hopefully Be internet when they
go live on my exchange next month will I get a consistant speed week in week
out or will it have like maxdsl ?

Old November 25th 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:34:06 -0000, "www.amstereoradio.info"
wrote:

If I manage to find a good adsl2+ supplier hopefully Be internet when they
go live on my exchange next month will I get a consistant speed week in week
out or will it have like maxdsl ?

depends what speed you're talking about. The data throughput may be
better if Be's systems are less congested - this is likely as their
entire userbase would fit in a modest football stadium.

they use rate adaption like MaxDSL so if the SNR is all over the shop
the modem sync speed will follow it.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 25th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

wrote:

If I manage to find a good adsl2+ supplier hopefully Be internet when they
go live on my exchange next month will I get a consistant speed week in
week
out or will it have like maxdsl ?

depends what speed you're talking about. The data throughput may be
better if Be's systems are less congested - this is likely as their
entire userbase would fit in a modest football stadium.

Well the adsl2+ speed I am likely to get as I'm 0.9 miles from the exchange
is around 20mbits acc to dsl zone and be's tech page, currently if I am
getting the full speed from maxdsl I get about 6mbits

they use rate adaption like MaxDSL so if the SNR is all over the shop
the modem sync speed will follow it.

But adsl2+ must be very technically different from maxdsl otherwise my speed
would be similar from would'nt it ?

Old November 25th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:58:09 -0000, "www.amstereoradio.info"
wrote:

But adsl2+ must be very technically different from maxdsl otherwise my speed
would be similar from would'nt it ?

its very technically the same but uses a wider range of frequencies.
Max is G992.1 ADSL2+ is G992.5 all part of the same standards family
and the latter falls back to the fromer if the extended frequencies
are not available due to line length or noise.

The extra speed comes from the extra bandwidth employed.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 26th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
I guess not but anyone enlighten me ?! My current maxdsl offering from
fast4 is all over the place currently 15k downloads some days others up to
530k others 110k

If I manage to find a good adsl2+ supplier hopefully Be internet when they
go live on my exchange next month will I get a consistant speed week in
week out or will it have like maxdsl ?

I'm on Virgin.net ADSLMax which works well enough
But I wish easynet/sky had LLU'd my exchange, as a Sky subscriber
i'd leap at their cheap and faster ADSL2

Steve Terry

Old November 26th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Steve Terry wrote:
"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
I guess not but anyone enlighten me ?! My current maxdsl offering from
fast4 is all over the place currently 15k downloads some days others up to
530k others 110k

If I manage to find a good adsl2+ supplier hopefully Be internet when they
go live on my exchange next month will I get a consistant speed week in
week out or will it have like maxdsl ?

I'm on Virgin.net ADSLMax which works well enough
But I wish easynet/sky had LLU'd my exchange, as a Sky subscriber
i'd leap at their cheap and faster ADSL2

I see I have sky on my exchange also but speed is only max of 16mbit
is'nt it ?

Old November 26th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 26 Nov 2006, " wrote:

speed is only max of 16mbit is'nt it ?

What are you after, then, 250 Mbps, perhaps ?

Remember that many users have had only 2 Mbps for some time, and
8 Mbps for under 12 months, anyway...
Old November 26th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message
,
NoNeedToKnow writes
On 26 Nov 2006, " wrote:

speed is only max of 16mbit is'nt it ?

What are you after, then, 250 Mbps, perhaps ?

Remember that many users have had only 2 Mbps for some time, and
8 Mbps for under 12 months, anyway...

on UKOnline's LLU I started getting 8Mbs (& more on occasions) in April
2005

--
dave @ stejonda
Old November 26th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 26 Nov 2006, "dave @ stejonda" wrote:

on UKOnline's LLU I started getting 8Mbs ... in April 2005

Understood, and a friend here was on another ISP's service with higher
speeds from some date in 2005, but there are still many BT exchanges which
have no LLU and for the vast majority of ADSL users, DSL Max only became
widely available from then end of March, this year.

Be, Easynet/UKOnline, etc, have been offered for some time, but for so many
who unfortunately don't live in the urban areas (perhaps fortunately, after
all!) there is no option but to use BT, and thus only their services and
their speed options. Main point was that "up to 16 Mbps" seems a lot
better (and still probably not needed by many!) than the earlier "up to
2 Mbps" which was not initially available, or was too costly to be used by
most residential users. I've not kept much track of prices from some ISPs,
but do remember getting reasonable deals in past years, such as getting a
1 Mbps connection priced at under 27 pounds a month from early 2004, and
getting 2 Mbps for under 20 pounds in 2005, while having my current
connection with up to 8 Mbps for 14.99. OK, it may be "cheaper" for
a person using Sky and getting their ADSL service for "free" but as I'm
using Freeview, and getting various channels free, I am willing to pay
for the ADSL part (in any case, because of commission from others on
a particular ISP, it costs me less than a tenner a month :-)
Old November 27th 06, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message
,
NoNeedToKnow writes
On 26 Nov 2006, " wrote:

speed is only max of 16mbit is'nt it ?

What are you after, then, 250 Mbps, perhaps ?

Why the sarcasm but yes why not when it's available, already 1000mbit
connections in places like South Korea

Remember that many users have had only 2 Mbps for some time, and
8 Mbps for under 12 months, anyway...

We are well behind France for example where 24mbit is only about 10 a
month