Redten

Old November 26th 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Default Redten

Has anybody signed up with this new ISP ?
As you know they are giving away a new computer with all new signups. Three
years' contract though is putting me off not to mention they have not
replied to my three e-mails about their service and a 49.99 sign-up fee for
everybody.
I dread to think what would happen if I had asked them a difficult question.
Things may improve though.
The ISP is owned by Watford Electronics.

Old November 26th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article , says...

The ISP is owned by Watford Electronics.

ah, Watfraud - nuff said.
Old November 26th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Forgot to mention that if anything goes wrong with the computer it is
warrented for three years but must be returned to base for repair.
Expensive I think to do that.

Old November 26th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Yes I have heard a few bad reports about Watford but I have dealt with them
a few times over the years and have no complaints. Mind you nothing went
wrong with my order or componets so I cannot say what it would have been
like to use their support staff.
I have heard a few bad stories there and as they are ignoring my simple
questions I can only think the stories are correct.

"Tx2" wrote in message
T...
In article , says...

Old November 26th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 26 Nov 2006, "Tony" wrote:

must be returned to base for repair. ...
Expensive I think to do that.

I've had PCs (base unit only) delivered for a tenner, using one of the
various delivery services, so it doesn't have to be very costly. It
would be inconvenient, of course, but all 'back to base' repairs are!

Incidentally, if you're wanting to post about something and truly think
two or more newsgroups are worthy of the discussion, it's best to cross-
post to the various groups, and allow everyone to see every response for
less duplication, and a _single_ useful thread.
Old November 26th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Mitchell

Tony wrote:
Has anybody signed up with this new ISP ?
As you know they are giving away a new computer with all new signups. Three
years' contract though is putting me off not to mention they have not
replied to my three e-mails about their service and a 49.99 sign-up fee for
everybody.
I dread to think what would happen if I had asked them a difficult question.
Things may improve though.
The ISP is owned by Watford Electronics.

I was tempted to sign up.

HOWEVER, they never even replied to my email asking if you
were allowed to upgrade the system by putting more memory
in it, adding a better sound card etc.

I also wanted to know if they had a news server, I was told
I could access usenet through a www address?! This was by
the sales team. I work for a telecoms company myself so
I understand that sales teams are normally clueless monkeys
who have the gift of the gab to get people to sign up, so
I thought I'd call tech support.

Tech support is in India. The Indian on the other end
couldn't understand what I was asking him about, it was
also on an 0871 number at 10p per minute.

If that's what they're like before you've even signed up
with them, can you IMAGINE what it would be like trying to
get a problem resolved?

--
(\__/) Charlie Mitchell.
(='.'=) Smooth Christmas Radio NOW ONLINE!
Old November 26th 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Yes I asked the same questions and also asked if I could do my own repairs
if they would send me the spare parts after I had diagnosed the problem. No
reply.
I did not bother to phone their tech department as I felt I would be wasting
my time and money. It looks like I was right.
Thanks for the reply. It does help me quite a bit.

"Charlie Mitchell" wrote in message
t.com...

Old November 26th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"Tony" wrote in message
Has anybody signed up with this new ISP ?
As you know they are giving away a new computer with all new signups.
Three
years' contract though is putting me off not to mention they have not
replied to my three e-mails about their service and a 49.99 sign-up fee
for
everybody.
I dread to think what would happen if I had asked them a difficult
question.
Things may improve though.
The ISP is owned by Watford Electronics.

I wouldn't bother - other ISPs have 12month contracts, are cheaper & faster
without the limitations and don't insist on 3 year contracts. They will
probably not last that long and will not attract customers with a sign up
fee.
You have experienced bad customer service - so why punish yourself and go
with them?

Old September 12th 07, 03:21 PM
Bedfordben Bedfordben is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Has anybody signed up with this new ISP ?
As you know they are giving away a new computer with all new signups. Three
years' contract though is putting me off not to mention they have not
replied to my three e-mails about their service and a 49.99 sign-up fee for
everybody.
I dread to think what would happen if I had asked them a difficult question.
Things may improve though.
The ISP is owned by Watford Electronics.
I was with RedTen and left when all the problems with Watford Electronics occured. Having gone back to AOL after being put off by Orange, Tiscali and others with connection problems. There was no need to worry because none of the Redten customers lost their connection because it was a BT line, which seems to be a safer bet that companies with their own servers. AOL were an exception but they've gone downhill after being bought by Carphone warehouse and I've started having connection problems on AOL. For me, the AOL software is too 'Bigbrother' and intrusive, constantly collecting information for their marketing and to sell to others.

Now I hear Redten is back, owned by a new company with some very strong backing from people like Toshiba and Microsoft. I did some digging after hearing that Watford was still around and found that Redten has been sold to an independant company and has nothing more to do with Watford, Thank God!!!

Having looked at the new Redten website, I see they've got some new offers. Free laptops and PC's or both. Having done an indepth research into the new Redten, I feel comfortable enough to go backd and could do with a new laptop.
Old September 12th 07, 03:26 PM
Bedfordben Bedfordben is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedfordben View Post

http://www.redteninternet.com/