Will NTE5 faceplate help with line extention problem?

Old November 26th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Will NTE5 faceplate help with line extention problem?

Hi,

I am currently having problems with drop outs caused by a SNR going
below 9. I have determined this is due to an extention running from the
BT box. If I connect directly to the test port I get a SNR of 15.

I was thinking to putting on a NTE5 faceplate and running a line
directly from it to the computer, but will this solve the problem or
will the noise on the phone line cause the same interference?

Also if it does solve the problem can anyone recommend a good place to
get one?

Thanks for any advice.

Wil

Old November 26th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I am currently having problems with drop outs caused by a SNR going
below 9. I have determined this is due to an extention running from
the BT box. If I connect directly to the test port I get a SNR of 15.

That suggest that you have a problem with the extension wiring.

I was thinking to putting on a NTE5 faceplate and running a line
directly from it to the computer, but will this solve the problem or
will the noise on the phone line cause the same interference?

Do you mean a replacement faceplate so you can filter all extensions except
the one connecting the ADSL modem?

Also if it does solve the problem can anyone recommend a good place to
get one?

Clarity IT amongst others.

Peter Crosland

Old November 26th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:

I am currently having problems with drop outs caused by a SNR going
below 9. I have determined this is due to an extention running from
the BT box. If I connect directly to the test port I get a SNR of 15.

That suggest that you have a problem with the extension wiring.

It definitely is the extenstion that is adding the noise.

I was thinking to putting on a NTE5 faceplate and running a line
directly from it to the computer, but will this solve the problem or
will the noise on the phone line cause the same interference?

Do you mean a replacement faceplate so you can filter all extensions except
the one connecting the ADSL modem?

Yep.

I've seen the face plates at Clarity and it looks like the one I need
is thus
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product....cat=262&page=1
Or the one with the 15m extension to go straight in to a modem.

Just to make clear, the existing connection isn't hardwired in to the
master box, it was just a lead running from a double adapter that
plugged in to the box.

So will the noise on the exisiting line still affect the ASDL filtered
line?

Wil

Old November 26th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Nobody can say for sure but extension leads are notorious for letting
interference in. Make sure you use a proper specification twisted pair cable
from the terminals to the modem. Read the installation notes on the Clarity
site carefully and follow them.

Peter Crosland

Old November 26th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:

Nobody can say for sure but extension leads are notorious for letting
interference in. Make sure you use a proper specification twisted pair cable
from the terminals to the modem. Read the installation notes on the Clarity
site carefully and follow them.

So it is possible for the voice line to corrupt the ASDL line. Drat!

Back to square one.

Thanks Peter.

Old November 27th 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Nobody can say for sure but extension leads are notorious for letting
interference in. Make sure you use a proper specification twisted
pair cable from the terminals to the modem. Read the installation
notes on the Clarity site carefully and follow them.

So it is possible for the voice line to corrupt the ASDL line. Drat!

Back to square one.

I don't think you have understood the problem. Go back and read all the
detail on the Clarity site.

Peter Crosland