Settle an argument

Old November 27th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

Default Settle an argument

A PC that uses a USB modem can be described as using Windows dial-up,
even though it is not actually 'dialling', so to speak.

Yes, or no?

Old November 27th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Tx2 wrote:

A PC that uses a USB modem can be described as using Windows dial-up,
even though it is not actually 'dialling', so to speak.

I had a PC with a USB ADSL modem, and it certainly wasn't using
"Windows dial-up", whatever that is.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
Old November 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GM6TRS

"Tx2" wrote in message
T...

A PC that uses a USB modem can be described as using Windows

dial-up,
even though it is not actually 'dialling', so to speak.

Yes, or no?

Yes, and no.

I had the ubiquitous Speedtouch (Alcatel) 330 ADSL USB modem, and that
installed itself as a 'dial-up adapter', though of course no dialling
took place. There was no NAT firewalling, and Windows Network
Neighbourhood wasn't involved.

Now I use a Linksys ADSL2MUE modem via USB (it does have an ethernet
port too), which installed itself as a 'network adapter', and acts as
a hardware firewall as a router would.

Martin

Old November 28th 06, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 27 Nov 2006, Tx2 wrote:

A PC that uses a USB modem can be described as using Windows dial-up,
even though it is not actually 'dialling', so to speak.

Yes, or no?

Sure as hell won't be "Windows dial-up" if the PC happens to be running
Linux, will it ? :-)