Is this an R.E.N. problem?

Old November 27th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Default Is this an R.E.N. problem?

First, I hope this is an appropriate post; otherwise please accept my
apologies.
I have 1 dsl enabled phone line.

The situation:
At the phone socket there is a filter.
The unfiltered part goes to a double socket. One connection goes to my
router, the other is connected to the fax modem in my pc. The fax is
indispensible, I use it a great deal.
The filtered side is wired to both a corded and a cordless phone downstairs
and a cordless phone upstairs.

The problem:
Whenever the downstairs cordless phone is used the dsl connection is knocked
out. Sometimes just for the duration of use of that phone, but often it is
necessary to reboot the router.

I have tried disconnecting the fax, the wired phone downstairs and the
cordless upstairs with no result. Every time the downstairs cordless (BT
Diverse 4010 gadget, same as upstairs. Both crap) is used, the dsl service
says bibi.

I am lineally within 100m of the local telephone exchange, if of any
relevance.

The Q.
Is this a REN problem or something else?

TIA

Nick.

Old November 27th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sla#s

Nick wrote:
First, I hope this is an appropriate post; otherwise please accept my
apologies.
I have 1 dsl enabled phone line.

The situation:
At the phone socket there is a filter.
The unfiltered part goes to a double socket.

Un-filtered?
As I understand it you should 'not' be using any 'unfiltered' part (?)
Does your filter(s) have two outputs? "ADSL" & "Phone"?

One connection goes to my
router,

No, that should be plugged into the 'ADSL' side of the filter.

...the other is connected to the fax modem in my pc.

No, that should be from the filtered 'Phone' side of the filter.

...The fax is
indispensible, I use it a great deal.
The filtered side is wired to both a corded and a cordless phone
downstairs and a cordless phone upstairs.

I have a cordless plugged into the Modem card output.
(And a Skype adaptor.)
I also have a corded phone and another cordless twin in other phone plugs
'with filters' in the house.

SNIP
I'm not an expert but the arrangement I have works.

Slatts

Old November 27th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Nick" wrote in message
First, I hope this is an appropriate post; otherwise please accept my
apologies.
I have 1 dsl enabled phone line.

The situation:
At the phone socket there is a filter.
The unfiltered part goes to a double socket. One connection goes to my
router, the other is connected to the fax modem in my pc. The fax is
indispensible, I use it a great deal.
The filtered side is wired to both a corded and a cordless phone
downstairs and a cordless phone upstairs.

The unfiltered feed goes to your modem/router.
All other telephone apparatus including the fax/modem in the pc must be
filtered.

Old November 28th 06, 06:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

I have tried disconnecting the fax, the wired phone downstairs and the
cordless upstairs with no result. Every time the downstairs cordless (BT
Diverse 4010 gadget, same as upstairs. Both crap) is used, the dsl service
says bibi.

Do you have filter on the bas station line in?

I am lineally within 100m of the local telephone exchange, if of any
relevance.

Ok. but your cable may take a longer route.

The Q.
Is this a REN problem or something else?

No, REN only applies to ringing current and hardly relevent these days. So
yes it is something else.

Dave
Old November 28th 06, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

I think you have mixed up the reference to filtered and unfiltered. Your
telephones and the fax should be connected to the filtered side (identified
by the flat standard phone socket) and only the ADSL modem should be
connected to the unfiltered side (identified by the smaller, squarer RJ11
socket). It sounds like the mix up is only in your description. What is
definitely wrong, however, is for the computers fax modem to be plugged into
the same side as the ADSL modem. The fax modem belongs in the same circuit
as the phones and the ADSL modem should be on its own. If it is only your
description that is wrong, and the connections are in fact correct, then I
suggest trying a new micro filter.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old November 28th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Sla#s wrote:
Nick wrote:
First, I hope this is an appropriate post; otherwise please accept my
apologies.
I have 1 dsl enabled phone line.

The situation:
At the phone socket there is a filter.
The unfiltered part goes to a double socket.

Un-filtered?
As I understand it you should 'not' be using any 'unfiltered' part (?)
Does your filter(s) have two outputs? "ADSL" & "Phone"?

Actually, this is a misconception, although a common one.

Filters do nothing for ADSL. Literally. The 'ADSL' port on a filter is merely
an RJ11 connector directly wired (3,4 - 2,5) to the BT631 connector on the
other end, with no filtering in between. Filtering is required to prevent the
ADSL signal from getting through to devices that may be affected by the it, or
to devices which may interfere with the ADSL signal.

Meanwhile, back to the original problem...

...the other is connected to the fax modem in my pc.

No, that should be from the filtered 'Phone' side of the filter.

Correct.
Fax modems are analogue devices, and therefore should be on the filtered circuit.

...The fax is
indispensible, I use it a great deal.
The filtered side is wired to both a corded and a cordless phone
downstairs and a cordless phone upstairs.

I have a cordless plugged into the Modem card output.

Modems with line outputs are not compliant with the old BABT approval
specifications. (Remember the old green-circle 'approved' and red-triangle
'prohibited' stickers?).
Not that this really matters, but if the modem is unfiltered, then so is that
cordless phone.

(And a Skype adaptor.)

A what?

I assume it is an ethernet ATA with POTS fallback. This makes it an analogue
device which therefore requires filtering between it and the ADSL-enabled line.

In summary, regardless of how your internal wiring is connected, there must be a
filter between every piece of analogue kit (telephones, TAMs, sky boxes, fax
machines, ATAs, and modems). Each device does not need it's own filter, because
once filtered, the line can be split and extended as necessary.

As this is not the case with your wiring, that is the primary reason it does not
work.
Old November 28th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sla#s

Jim Howes wrote:
SNIP
I have a cordless plugged into the Modem card output.

Modems with line outputs are not compliant with the old BABT approval
specifications.

Mine is only six months old -I thought they all had them (?)
My old Win 95 machine did.

(Remember the old green-circle 'approved' and
red-triangle 'prohibited' stickers?).
Not that this really matters, but if the modem is unfiltered, then so
is that cordless phone.

But it is filtered, being plugged into the "phone" side of the adaptor that
has the ADSL on the other output.

(And a Skype adaptor.)

A what?

Skype adaptor!
So that one phone handset can be used for either Skype or landline.
http://tinyurl.com/y5vu6v

Slatts