Is it my line or my Router?

Old November 28th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul C

Default Is it my line or my Router?

Hi
On ADSL Max and connection around 7500-8000bps. However, monitoring the
router it initially connects with a 6dB noise margin but then quickly
(5-10sec) drops to 1 or 2 and then connection drops sometime in next 15
mins. It only happens in evenings; Sat & Sunday it holds on all day.
BT have said there is nothing wrong with line and will not adjust BRAS
profile to make it connect at a lower rate. They just say every time it
drops I should reboot modem.

What I don't understand is when the connection comes back up it usually
results in an increase of downstream rate. It does something like
7900,8000,8064,7900 etc. I would have thought it would keep going down if
connection is continually dropped?

Modem/Router is Zyxel 660HW-61 with latest firmware , though previous
versions are the same.

So is it a line or router problem I should hassle/investigate further?

thanks

Paul

Old November 28th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:16:35 -0000, "Paul C"
wrote:

What I don't understand is when the connection comes back up it usually
results in an increase of downstream rate. It does something like
7900,8000,8064,7900 etc. I would have thought it would keep going down if
connection is continually dropped?

can go either way, if interference takes out some frequencies it may
use others to the same or better effect.

If it flaps enough it'll get a higher SNR margin target.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.