number change question

Old November 28th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default number change question

For reasons I won't bore you with here, I want to change the telephone
number of the line that provides my ADSL Service. My ISP is Demon, and they
assure me that if I get BT to change the number the ADSL service will stop
working, and Demon will get it working again in 10-15 days - just as if it
were a completely new connection.

This seems completely unreasonable, since the wires carrying the ADSL signal
are the same, and I still pay the BT bill. But Demon assure me that no
other ISP will be able to do any better, since they are all constrained by
BT rules.

Can anybody confirmthat this is true, please?

--
Graham

Old November 28th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 28 Nov 2006, "Graham" wrote:

they assure me that if I get BT to change the number the ADSL service will
stop working, ... assure me that no other ISP will be able to do any better,
since they are all constrained by BT rules.

It certainly *used to be* the case, and I remember a web page on the (old)
Metronet site, which indicated the same. However, there have been a few
posts in the last few weeks which categorically indicate it not to be
the case. Use http://groups.google.com/ and do some searching, and
you will probably find those posts, and I think it's about 50:50 :-(

Seems it might depend on how much attention the ISP takes of notifications
from BT Wholesale (eg a note indicating the service will be ceased) and if
it is a smaller ISP, they may spot it in a timely manner and request that
the cease not be acted on... thus avoiding a new activation fee...
Old November 28th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:35:09 -0000, "Graham"
wrote:

For reasons I won't bore you with here, I want to change the telephone
number of the line that provides my ADSL Service. My ISP is Demon, and they
assure me that if I get BT to change the number the ADSL service will stop
working, and Demon will get it working again in 10-15 days - just as if it
were a completely new connection.

This seems completely unreasonable, since the wires carrying the ADSL signal
are the same, and I still pay the BT bill. But Demon assure me that no
other ISP will be able to do any better, since they are all constrained by
BT rules.

Can anybody confirmthat this is true, please?

We've been here before. If you just want to renumber your existing
line to a new number without physically moving the linebox or anything
else then it is performed as a renumber job and this does *not*
involve a stop / start which is the process that cancels broadband.
All you have to do is inform your ISP of the new number on your line
and the broadband will be totally unaffected

jim

Old November 28th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Can anybody confirm that this is true, please?

"maybe"

Last week someone had a number changed due to nuisance calls and the
ADSL survived without (AFAIK) ISP intervention.

The worst outcome is the BT system generating an ADSL 'cease' and the
ISP failing to notice it and reject it.

Seeking assurances from BT that the renumbering does not generate an
ADSL cease is perhaps the best you can do.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old November 28th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

wrote:

Can anybody confirm that this is true, please?

"maybe"

Last week someone had a number changed due to nuisance calls and the
ADSL survived without (AFAIK) ISP intervention.

The worst outcome is the BT system generating an ADSL 'cease' and the
ISP failing to notice it and reject it.

Seeking assurances from BT that the renumbering does not generate an
ADSL cease is perhaps the best you can do.

Phil

If it's a simple renumber then no cease or stop is generated

jim