Wireless, or Wired Router Dilemma

Old November 28th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tamale-Loco

Default Wireless, or Wired Router Dilemma

Currently using a PCI modem card to gain access to ISP
System is connected in spare bedroom upstairs via an extension socket
Would i be better off speed wise with a wireless router, connected to main socket
downstairs, or a wired router, connected to extension socket?
House is a BIG old Edwardian with high ceilings and thickish walls, so would the wireless
one be up to the task, without too much of a speed drop (distance between main socket and
this system is approx 15-20 metres)?
Currently with Eclipse on a "*******ised ADSL2" LLU connection with fairly decent speeds
when its not throttled to buggery, tbh
Thinking of migrating to either Be or Namesco
Be are offering a free wireless jobby, Namesco are offering a free wired one.

Tamale-Loco

Old November 28th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Tamale-Loco wrote on Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:09:35 -0000:

Currently using a PCI modem card to gain access to ISP
System is connected in spare bedroom upstairs via an extension socket
Would i be better off speed wise with a wireless router, connected to main
socket downstairs, or a wired router, connected to extension socket?

If you have no other PCs in the house to which you would connect to transfer
files, it'll likely make no difference having wired or wireless - the
transfer rate from the PC to the router should be way in excess of the
internet connection speed, so even taking into account packet loss and
retransmission due to signal problems it should still be as fast. If you get
older wireless equipment that runs at 11Mbps then you may find in a couple
of years when/if your internet connection is switched to ADSL2+ and able to
handle speeds higher than 11Mbps that your router will then be a potential
bottleneck. Just make sure you get a wireless router and NIC that uses the
more recent standards, or be prepared to change equipment in a couple of
years time. Most wired routers have 100Mbps ports and most new PCs have
100Mbps NICs so these should never be a limiting factor (unless you get a
100Mbps+ connection at home of course :P)

House is a BIG old Edwardian with high ceilings and thickish walls, so
would the wireless one be up to the task, without too much of a speed drop
(distance between main socket and this system is approx 15-20 metres)?

The only thing to do is try, if you're willing to risk it. You could go for
a wired+wireless router, that way if the wireless part isn't up to the job
you can still used the RJ45 ports and run a wired connection. I've tested
cheap (11) USB wireless adaptors at home in my 1930's semi which has high
ceilings and a few thickish walls, and they seem to work pretty well.

Currently with Eclipse on a "*******ised ADSL2" LLU connection with fairly
decent speeds when its not throttled to buggery, tbh
Thinking of migrating to either Be or Namesco
Be are offering a free wireless jobby, Namesco are offering a free wired
one.

At the prices of routers now, I wouldn't bother choosing a service based on
getting free equipment. Would you be happy saving 20-30 and be on a crap
ISP?

Dan

Old November 28th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wright

Would i be better off speed wise with a wireless router, connected to main
socket downstairs, or a wired router, connected to extension socket?
House is a BIG old Edwardian with high ceilings and thickish walls, so
would the wireless one be up to the task, without too much of a speed drop
(distance between main socket and this system is approx 15-20 metres)?

I've got a router downstairs, which is as close to the main socket as a
short wire will allow, and tried - somewhat dubiously - one of these
networking products that uses your electrical ring main, because of the
location of one of the PC's at the far end of the house on another floor
away - needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at the outcome -
very good, very fast, and seemless installation without any drivers or
software - well worth 69 from Maplin, and easily fast enough to keep up
with broadband up to 14meg.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...lo&doy=28m 11

D.

Old November 28th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 28 Nov 2006, "David Wright" wrote:

I was very pleasantly surprised at the outcome - very good, very fast, and
seemless installation without any drivers or software - well worth 69

Might be also worth checking at Solwise (a friend bought 3 of the 14 Mbps
units from there). http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
Old November 28th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tamale-Loco

"Jethro" wrote in message
. net...
Tamale-Loco wrote

Be are offering a free wireless jobby, Namesco are offering a free wired one.

You're gonna chose your ISP on the basis of which free router you hope
will work best for you?

Idiot.

Nope.......i never said that
Those are the 2 ISPs i am looking at,regardless of free router..DICKHEAD !

Old November 28th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

"Tamale-Loco" wrote in message
Currently using a PCI modem card to gain access to ISP
System is connected in spare bedroom upstairs via an extension socket
Would i be better off speed wise with a wireless router, connected to main
socket downstairs, or a wired router, connected to extension socket?
House is a BIG old Edwardian with high ceilings and thickish walls, so
would the wireless one be up to the task, without too much of a speed drop
(distance between main socket and this system is approx 15-20 metres)?
Currently with Eclipse on a "*******ised ADSL2" LLU connection with fairly
decent speeds when its not throttled to buggery, tbh
Thinking of migrating to either Be or Namesco
Be are offering a free wireless jobby, Namesco are offering a free wired
one.

Tamale-Loco

If you have the choice go for a wired system. I have a Belikin wireless
modem router; the computer wired to it gives no problems, but both my wife's
computer in the next room and my lap top give intermittent problems. "Signal
strength OK" "Getting IP address". Trouble it sometimes takes hours for the
latter to happen! This in spite of various experts who've had a go to
improve the situation. I've now ordered a 15metre Ethernet cable to pacify
"she who must be obeyed"!.

Retired

Old November 28th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tamale-Loco

"Retired" wrote in message

[...]

I ended up going with the wired router, for much the reasons you gave
I remember having wireless doorbell and other such things that were
crap lol !!!!!

Tamale-Loco