Reconnection of a line.

Old November 29th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Reconnection of a line.

Hello everyone.

I've just moved in to a flat where there was a BT line available.
During cleaning a backyard some cleaner cut about 7 meters of cable
off. When called BT engineer came along, he said that it cannot be
fixed (reconnected) and a new line instalation for 90 is required
(+12 BT contract). What are your views on that issue? Is there any
chance that I could reconnect these few meters of cable on my own?

Cheers.

Old November 29th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I've just moved in to a flat where there was a BT line available.
During cleaning a backyard some cleaner cut about 7 meters of cable
off. When called BT engineer came along, he said that it cannot be
fixed (reconnected) and a new line instalation for 90 is required
(+12 BT contract). What are your views on that issue? Is there any
chance that I could reconnect these few meters of cable on my own?

The chances are BT would charge you more for a repair than a new line. You
are not allowed to do work on their line yourself.

Peter Crosland

Old November 29th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
I've just moved in to a flat where there was a BT line available.
During cleaning a backyard some cleaner cut about 7 meters of cable
off. When called BT engineer came along, he said that it cannot be
fixed (reconnected) and a new line instalation for 90 is required
(+12 BT contract). What are your views on that issue? Is there any
chance that I could reconnect these few meters of cable on my own?

The chances are BT would charge you more for a repair than a new line. You
are not allowed to do work on their line yourself.

Peter Crosland

That's crap cause bloody 7 meters of cable is worth no more than 5 in
opposition to 90 fee+12months contract (((( So, is there anything I
can do about it? How to avoid that 12 month long commitment?

Old November 29th 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Yes, get the cleaner to pay for it. Either that or just accept that you
shouldn't have employed such a waste of space.

See. The point is that nobody said that there was a line when I was
moving in to house. Landlord dealt all agreement by proxy and they did
not assume the line to be there. House was refurbished. Backyard was
full off chunky rubbish. Cable was fine though cleaners cut it off
cause it was easier for them. Now, it's hard to lodge any claims ...
And, if I reconnect it on my own, BT will spot that ... Hmmm ...

I mean, how do you cut a cable "during cleaning", it's not like you
might accidentally go through it with a chainsaw... what did she do,
dust it off the wall?

Maybe that supermop is more powerful than you could possibly have
imagined...

TBH your first mistake was asking BT to come out in the first place.
Just do the repair yourself without telling them and they probably would
never know. Now if you DIY they'll know; whether this means they'll do
anything is another thing entirely.

How to avoid that 12 month long commitment?

Hmm. That does seem unreasonable - all the BT guy will do is simply turn
up, run a new cable from the pole to your house (or do they just splice
cables? Don't know) and link it to the old line. There's certainly no
new provisioning involved.

Anyway, you're probably best off asking in uk.telecom, you get many more
techy BT-types in there.

Geoff

Old November 29th 06, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Get that engineer back out and slip him a tenner to say he made a mistake
and missed a second cable which miraculously appears before he leaves..

I asked him twice, if there is anything we can do, though I did not
think about a small bribe for him ...... ;D Isn't it too late now ?
grgrgr Why did I call him in the first order instead of fixing it on my
own! Damn.

Old November 29th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I've just moved in to a flat where there was a BT line available.
During cleaning a backyard some cleaner cut about 7 meters of cable
off. When called BT engineer came along, he said that it cannot be
fixed (reconnected) and a new line instalation for 90 is required
(+12 BT contract). What are your views on that issue? Is there any
chance that I could reconnect these few meters of cable on my own?

The chances are BT would charge you more for a repair than a new
line. You are not allowed to do work on their line yourself.

Peter Crosland

That's crap cause bloody 7 meters of cable is worth no more than 5 in
opposition to 90 fee+12months contract (((( So, is there anything I
can do about it? How to avoid that 12 month long commitment?

Really? Well apart from having no manners it seems you have little
brainpower. BT will charge a callout fee and a repair charge. That is likely
to be around 90. Next time you ask for help consider that abuse will get
you nowhere.

Peter Crosland

Old November 29th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Really? Well apart from having no manners it seems you have little
brainpower. BT will charge a callout fee and a repair charge. That is likely
to be around 90. Next time you ask for help consider that abuse will get
you nowhere.

I'm not sure what's ur point here ad who's abusive. I just see that
people have to pay for nothing such amounts. Is such a monopolistic
approach really a virtue?

EOT.