Broadband without line rental

Old November 29th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
voipfc

Default Broadband without line rental

Is it possible to have an ADSL connection on a line without a telephone
line subscription?

I'd like to know whether is possible to pay for the broadband alone. I
don't need the telephone service itself.

Old November 29th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message om, voipfc
writes

Is it possible to have an ADSL connection on a line without a telephone
line subscription?

I'd like to know whether is possible to pay for the broadband alone. I
don't need the telephone service itself.

with cable bb you can - if you're in an area they cover

--
dave @ stejonda
Old November 29th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:25:55 UTC, "voipfc"
wrote:

Is it possible to have an ADSL connection on a line without a telephone
line subscription?

I'd like to know whether is possible to pay for the broadband alone. I
don't need the telephone service itself.

The fee you pay for ADSL all goes to the ISP. There has to be some
payment for wires, maintenance, poles, ducts, etc. That's why you have
to pay for a phone service.

Some ISPs offer a line without phone service, but you won't save a lot -
ultimately they still have to pay BT for the line, e.g.:

http://aa.nu/aa/aaisp/pstn.html

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old November 29th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:

Is it possible to have an ADSL connection on a line
without a telephone line subscription?

I'd like to know whether is possible to pay for the
broadband alone. I don't need the telephone service
itself.

The fee you pay for ADSL all goes to the ISP. There has
to be some payment for wires, maintenance, poles, ducts,
etc. That's why you have to pay for a phone service.

Funny how some countries in the world (the USA is one that springs to
mind) can manage it.

Rip-off Britain strikes again..!

Ivor

Old November 29th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

Is it possible to have an ADSL connection on a line
without a telephone line subscription?

I'd like to know whether is possible to pay for the
broadband alone. I don't need the telephone service
itself.

The fee you pay for ADSL all goes to the ISP. There has
to be some payment for wires, maintenance, poles, ducts,
etc. That's why you have to pay for a phone service.

Funny how some countries in the world (the USA is one that springs to
mind) can manage it.

You usually have little choice, though. Cable or your own phone company.
So it's effectively the same thing.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old November 29th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterG

wrote:

Is it possible to have an ADSL connection on a line
without a telephone line subscription?

I'd like to know whether is possible to pay for the
broadband alone. I don't need the telephone service
itself.

The fee you pay for ADSL all goes to the ISP. There has
to be some payment for wires, maintenance, poles, ducts,
etc. That's why you have to pay for a phone service.

Funny how some countries in the world (the USA is one that springs to
mind) can manage it.

Rip-off Britain strikes again..!

Ivor

Why is it a rip-off to have to pay for a service?

Peter

Old November 30th 06, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"PeterG" wrote in message
s.com
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:25:55 UTC, "voipfc"
wrote:

[snip]

The fee you pay for ADSL all goes to the ISP. There
has to be some payment for wires, maintenance, poles,
ducts, etc. That's why you have to pay for a phone
service.

Funny how some countries in the world (the USA is one
that springs to mind) can manage it.

Rip-off Britain strikes again..!

Ivor

Why is it a rip-off to have to pay for a service?

It isn't. I use ADSL so I'm prepared to pay for it. However if I don't use
the line for voice it's a rip-off to have to pay for that service.

As I said, it's perfectly possible in some countries. As is ADSL over
ISDN, but BT can't seem to manage it.

Ivor

Old November 30th 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"PeterG" wrote in message
s.com
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:25:55 UTC, "voipfc"
wrote:

[snip]

The fee you pay for ADSL all goes to the ISP. There
has to be some payment for wires, maintenance, poles,
ducts, etc. That's why you have to pay for a phone
service.

Funny how some countries in the world (the USA is one
that springs to mind) can manage it.

Rip-off Britain strikes again..!

Ivor

Why is it a rip-off to have to pay for a service?

It isn't. I use ADSL so I'm prepared to pay for it. However if I don't use
the line for voice it's a rip-off to have to pay for that service.

As I said, it's perfectly possible in some countries. As is ADSL over
ISDN, but BT can't seem to manage it.

Ivor

How do you propose to pay for the line?

--
Eric

Old November 30th 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Eric" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"PeterG" wrote in message
s.com

[snip]

Why is it a rip-off to have to pay for a service?

It isn't. I use ADSL so I'm prepared to pay for it.
However if I don't use the line for voice it's a
rip-off to have to pay for that service. As I said, it's perfectly
possible in some countries.
As is ADSL over ISDN, but BT can't seem to manage it.

How do you propose to pay for the line?

It's already here and has been for over 30 years. Besides, how do those
countries where they have this service do it..?

Ivor

Old November 30th 06, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:48:51 UTC, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

It's already here and has been for over 30 years. Besides, how do those
countries where they have this service do it..?

In the example you quoted (USA) it's the same company that provides
phone service and ADSL. I bet they give you a 'discount' if you take
both.

The line may have been there for 30 years but who pays to
repair/maintain it?

euthanasia recommended. ]