Authentication on early activated line

Old November 29th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

Default Authentication on early activated line

Line was activated by BT this afternoon but the isp said that it wasn't
flagged up as activated and they had been given 4th December for being
activated. Therefore their provisioning team couldn't authenticate it.
BT engineer said he would check the morning to see if it was indicated as
being activated.
Is it impossible for the isp to just authenticate it or they obliged to wait
for either wholesale to tell them or until the 4th December.
Local lad ordered BT broadband the one day and online the next.
My original order was the 8th of November with the isp and though the delay
wasn't their fault I was wondering if they could be pursuaded to complete
the order that bit quicker.

Paddy

Old November 29th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that Paddy formulated :
Line was activated by BT this afternoon but the isp said that it wasn't
flagged up as activated and they had been given 4th December for being
activated. Therefore their provisioning team couldn't authenticate it.
BT engineer said he would check the morning to see if it was indicated as
being activated.
Is it impossible for the isp to just authenticate it or they obliged to wait
for either wholesale to tell them or until the 4th December.
Local lad ordered BT broadband the one day and online the next.
My original order was the 8th of November with the isp and though the delay
wasn't their fault I was wondering if they could be pursuaded to complete the
order that bit quicker.

Paddy

BT Wholesale have changed the way they inform ISPs whether the order
has completed.

Essentially, an automated message is sent at regular key moments during
the life of the order.

These messages seem to be getting delayed.

If one particular message is delayed at a specific key point, your ISP
won't have any details to authenticate with........have they given you
any login details yet?

Old November 29th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks for the reply - Virgin have given me the login details etc as I had
an activation date about 10 days ago but then it failed due to information
exchange between BT & BT wholesale. That is all resolved now and the BT
engineer came out and activated the equipment at the end of the road which
couples me to the exchange via a microwave link. He got 7Mb on a test and
said my line is now ready to go.
Paddy

Old November 29th 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 29 Nov 2006, "Paddy" [email protected] wrote:

It happens that Paddy formulated :

Is it impossible for the isp to just authenticate it or they obliged to
wait for either wholesale to tell them or until the 4th December.

If someone attempts to login on PlusNet, they seem to be willing to enable
the account - they even modified their systems to spot an attempted login
and enable the account automatically at their end... Sorry, don't know
if BT Wholesale, or just Virgin/NTL use it as an excuse to delay you
(though not sure what advantage there is for them to delay customer, and
just make the customer less happy).

Thanks for the reply - Virgin have given me the login details etc as I had
an activation date about 10 days ago but then it failed due to information
exchange between BT & BT wholesale. That is all resolved now ...

might be worth contacting them again... may find someone who either doesn't
know current policy, or sees no reason to delay you getting online.

Old November 29th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paddy

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
[...]

I see that eclipse is looking a better buy going by www.adlsguide.org.uk I
have been with NTLfreedom for the last 6 years with no problems and thats
why I went for Virgin. I see that I can cancel with Virgin within 7 days or
before activication of my line. I trust they mean before they activate it
and not bt wholesale as bt say it's already done. Thanks for that it has
given me something to look at the morn.
Paddy

Old November 29th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 29 Nov 2006, "Paddy" [email protected] wrote:

see that I can cancel with Virgin within 7 days or before activication of
my line. I trust they mean before they activate it and not bt wholesale
as bt say it's already done. Thanks for that it has given me something to
look at the morn.

Sorry, but there are sliding scales of charges for cancellation before
*BT Wholesale* has activated the service. If they say it is active, then
you are beyond the cancellation stage and likely to be tied into 12 months
with Virgin (at least to have to pay the first month, and the activation or
an "admin" fee, covering the activation, if leaving within first 12 months)

(I only remember because I saw some pretty major markups on cancellation
fees being applied by one of the "popular" ISPs, and was quite surprised
at how much they added on to the BT charges.)