Securing Wireless Router

Old November 29th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor

Default Securing Wireless Router

Been putting off looking at security for my router, as my experience of
delving into it spells our hours if not days of gloom and tearing out of
hair and I could easily loose a day or twos pay as I work over the internet.

However went into security tonight and entered a key in the WEP section.
Sure enough that was then end of my internet access. Had to restore factory
setting on the router to get back in.

Is there an idiots guide to this black magic

Old November 29th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Trevor wrote:
Been putting off looking at security for my router, as my experience
of delving into it spells our hours if not days of gloom and tearing
out of hair and I could easily loose a day or twos pay as I work over
the internet.
However went into security tonight and entered a key in the WEP
section. Sure enough that was then end of my internet access. Had to
restore factory setting on the router to get back in.

Is there an idiots guide to this black magic

Go for WPA rather than WEP if both your router and clients support it - it's
more secure and more reliable.

As for WEP , keys can generally be entered as ascii text - 5 or 13
characters IIRC , or hex format - 10 or 26 characters.
It *should* work with either buy in practice I've found it more reliable
using hex at both ends
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old November 29th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Len Cuff

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:50:00 -0000, "Trevor"
wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message
. net...
declared for all the world to
hear...
Been putting off looking at security for my router, as my experience of
delving into it spells our hours if not days of gloom and tearing out of
hair and I could easily loose a day or twos pay as I work over the
internet.

However went into security tonight and entered a key in the WEP section.
Sure enough that was then end of my internet access. Had to restore
factory
setting on the router to get back in.

Is there an idiots guide to this black magic

Put the same key into your PC(s) when prompted. Not difficult.

WPA is even easier as you don't have to muck about with hex-pairs as you
sometimes to do with WEP.
--
Regards
Jon

So if I go into my router and put a key in, where do I put the same key in
the PC's.

It should ask you for the network key when you try to connect. Well at
least all mine have done but only the first time. After that it shuld
just connect fine. If you scan for wireless networks from the PC it
should show up as a secure network. Press connect and it will prompt
for the key. As already stated I would go for WPA as it's easier to
enter the key ( just a phrase like 'thisismykey') and it's a bit more
secure.

It may also be worth having at least one PC connected via ethernet, at
least then you can access the router to make any changes you need if
all goes wrong.

HTH

cheers,
Len
Old November 30th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor

Many thanks for everyones help. I can't believe how easy it was - and I've
put it off for 3 years!