Channel Interference

Old November 29th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor

Default Channel Interference

I read in a posting from Tiny Tim that 5 or 6 channels of seperation are
needed to avoid interference.

My wireless router has suddenly started cutting out in the evenings and
needing a reboot.

I wondered if this was the problem. Netstumbler shows I'm on channel 6 (with
a tiny x by it - what does that mean?) whilst the village wireless network
is on channel 1.

If I need to change channels is that difficult?

Old November 29th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Trevor wrote:
I read in a posting from Tiny Tim that 5 or 6 channels of seperation
are needed to avoid interference.

Using channels 1 , 6 and 11 gives three non-overlapping channels.
You *may* be alright with less separation but it's not guaranteed.

My wireless router has suddenly started cutting out in the evenings
and needing a reboot.

Overlapping channels wouldn't cause the router to need a reboot.

I wondered if this was the problem. Netstumbler shows I'm on channel
6 (with a tiny x by it - what does that mean?) whilst the village
wireless network is on channel 1.

You should be fine.

If I need to change channels is that difficult?

Nope , browse to the router's config page and look for the wireless
settings.
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk