A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Nokia really stuck on the fence



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 30th 06, 02:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 165
Default Nokia really stuck on the fence

"On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
can let operators decide to make the services low priority. "

http://www.itworld.com/Net/3303/061129nokiavoip/

I've read on a couple of forums about E60 or E61 users having real
trouble setting up the included VoIP client for use of their selected
provider. At the moment Nokia seem to allow calls within a corporate
environment and behind a company firewall, but won't have solutions for
NAT, ICE, STUN issues until early next year

Well, that's my incomlete reading of it, and you guys know more about
all that than me, but it sounds like I could talk myself out of getting
say an E60 in the near future, which ought to be a nicer idea than
maybe an interim move to a UT Starcom set

And the article mentions a forthcoming product from 3, which sounds
rather like it may allow VoIP over 3g ....... specifies Skype though
......... maybe Nokia should pull out its finger and allow all versions
on all VoIP enabled phones

  #2  
Old November 30th 06, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 331
Default Nokia really stuck on the fence

andy wrote:

"On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
can let operators decide to make the services low priority. "

http://www.itworld.com/Net/3303/061129nokiavoip/


I wouldn't have said they were stuck on the fence - I'd have said that they
are producing products that different parts of the market want to buy, aka
making money.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:12:16 up 10 days, 17:54, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.07, 0.02
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

  #3  
Old November 30th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 165
Default Nokia really stuck on the fence


alexd wrote:
andy wrote:

"On one hand Nokia is rolling out services that let phone users make
free calls. Separately, however, it has been offering technology that
can let operators decide to make the services low priority. "

http://www.itworld.com/Net/3303/061129nokiavoip/


I wouldn't have said they were stuck on the fence - I'd have said that they
are producing products that different parts of the market want to buy, aka
making money.

Well. they also seem driven by a desire not to upset the networks

Who wants to buy a product that is sabotaged in its intended use by
another company? Not conjecture either - networks in some countries
have been banning VoIP use for some time

Read on other forums that people who have certain phones from Nokia
that include a VoIp client have had great difficulty in setting them
up, even on their home wifi network

  #4  
Old November 30th 06, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 254
Default Nokia really stuck on the fence

andy wrote:

Read on other forums that people who have certain phones from Nokia
that include a VoIp client have had great difficulty in setting them
up, even on their home wifi network

That's probably mostly because the client is bloody awkward and the WiFi
implementaion is dire. Even with the latest firmware the E60 I've been
using disconnects from the network from time to time.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Draytek Vigor 2600 stuck in TFTP Mode [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 December 5th 06 12:40 PM
[Nokia 6136] SIP over Wi-Fi & UMA kael uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 November 14th 06 03:10 PM
Nokia N93 and VOIP Bletchley Don uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 4 October 19th 06 08:08 AM
NTL stuck in SYN_SENT Jono uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 October 23rd 05 08:36 PM
newby, stuck!? The Crow uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 1 October 8th 04 06:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.