Nokia Communication Suite expands VoIP options

Old November 30th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Brian A

Default Nokia Communication Suite expands VoIP options

http://tinyurl.com/yz4hq6

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 30th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Brian A wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/yz4hq6

Damn them! I don't want to turn my PC into a softphone - I can do
that already, I want an unlocked SIP client for my 9500 communicator &
770 tablet!!!

Gordon
Old November 30th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Brian A

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:45:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Gordon Henderson) wrote:

In article ,
Brian A wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/yz4hq6

Damn them! I don't want to turn my PC into a softphone - I can do
that already, I want an unlocked SIP client for my 9500 communicator &
770 tablet!!!

Gordon

I don't have the devices you have but I would hope to have a wifi
enabled mobile phone in the future. That horrid senario of 'locking'
sprang to my mind also when I read the article.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old December 1st 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
voip_ross

It does read as if nokia is going to build the system and charge for
it. It says one bill, so maybe it will be a mobile phone provider that
will offer the system. I think people should be able to choose their
provider, not be locked in!!

If you have a mobile phone on 3G now, can you not connect to the
internet with it and use a standard softphone? I think this is possible
isn't it??

I use the nokia N70, it has built in wireless and a sip client that
works well with most routers, however the device does not support STUN
or methods to overcome routing problems. The Nokia site says that this
should be coming soon, however no news yet!

Ross
-----------------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost
http://www.voicehost.co.uk

Brian A wrote:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:45:25 +0000 (UTC),

Old December 2nd 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
alexd

voip_ross wrote:

It does read as if nokia is going to build the system and charge for
it. It says one bill, so maybe it will be a mobile phone provider that
will offer the system. I think people should be able to choose their
provider, not be locked in!!

If you have a mobile phone on 3G now, can you not connect to the
internet with it and use a standard softphone? I think this is possible
isn't it??

It may well be possible, but whether or not it's usable is another matter
entirely. The main concern with IP over 3G is the latency, ie how long it
takes your speech to digitised, compressed, transmitted, decompressed and
converted back to analogue at the other end. The transmission bit is
dependant on the network you are using, and the oft-quoted figure is for a
maximum of 150ms latency [http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/QoS]. I have
never used 3G data first hand before, so I've got no idea how well they
perform, w.r.t. QoS.

Whilst simply pinging across a 3G data link may give you a rough idea about
how well it will work, but one ICMP packet per second is not the same as
many UDP packets per second. Now I'm not one to don a tin foil hat for no
reason, but I reckon the 3G networks have very little interest in ensuring
that your packets get where they're going in the right order or in a timely
manner. So I would be interested to see some test results, and I would be
entirely unsurprised to find 3G unsuitable for VoIP.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:26:53 up 12 days, 14:09, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.02