PLUSNET

Old November 30th 06, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default PLUSNET

Why is PlusNet now so slow?

Especially with Torrents and filesharing?

Old November 30th 06, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in news:456f2394$0$8711
:

Why is PlusNet now so slow?

Especially with Torrents and filesharing?

Packet shaping. I moved to Zen a week or so ago and the difference is
amazing, like when we first had MaxDSL enabled.

--
Colin
Old November 30th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

"cw" wrote in message
"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in news:456f2394$0$8711
:

Why is PlusNet now so slow?

Especially with Torrents and filesharing?

Packet shaping. I moved to Zen a week or so ago and the difference is
amazing, like when we first had MaxDSL enabled.

What do people think of Namesco or Newnet? They seem to score highly on
ADSLguide....

Old December 1st 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

cw wrote:
"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in
news:456f2394$0$8711 :

Why is PlusNet now so slow?

Especially with Torrents and filesharing?

Packet shaping. I moved to Zen a week or so ago and the difference is
amazing, like when we first had MaxDSL enabled.

When I got my code to move to Zen, I got the obligatory phone call from a
Plusnet drone trying to persuade me to stay who insisted that everybody else
including Zen packet shape just as severely. Lying bustard. I can't describe
how glad I am to have escaped that gaggle of poltroons.

Ian

--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in

Old December 1st 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Jaxtraw" wrote in message
cw wrote:
"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in
news:456f2394$0$8711 :

Why is PlusNet now so slow?

Especially with Torrents and filesharing?

Packet shaping. I moved to Zen a week or so ago and the difference is
amazing, like when we first had MaxDSL enabled.

When I got my code to move to Zen, I got the obligatory phone call from a
Plusnet drone trying to persuade me to stay who insisted that everybody
else
including Zen packet shape just as severely. Lying bustard. I can't
describe
how glad I am to have escaped that gaggle of poltroons.

Yes. But - and there is a but. As of today Plusnet p2p connectivity seems to
be back to near normal - currently 69KB/s.

The sad thing about Plusnet is that it used to be a great service. The
prospective BT takeover is very bad news for any prospect Plusnet had of
finding its own distinctive and once great way again.

The funny thing is that all ISPs would probably have to do is to charge a
premium to moderate p2p users in order to keep their custom (say 4 or 5 Gig
a month for 10 or so).

Gareth.

Old December 1st 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Gareth" wrote in
:

The sad thing about Plusnet is that it used to be a great service. The
prospective BT takeover is very bad news for any prospect Plusnet had
of finding its own distinctive and once great way again.

PlusNet managment have always made business decisions which resolved
their problems quickly but caused problems for customer support and
users. Ranging from the 0800 numbers to when BT limited the number of
SurfTime ports through to the recent broadband issues.

Now that the company is stock market driven, it seems like the directors
are going for the biggest money making options and just charging through
the fray that it causes - as it has always done. I don't expect that to
change anytime soon which is why I finally left after 8 years or so.

As to the takeover, what's actually happening with that? Last I heard,
BT bought ~32% then sold some off so they were below 30% because of some
'implications'. I never saw it explained properly and haven't heard
anything else since..

--
Colin
Old December 1st 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"cw" wrote in message
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

Seems like someone ****ed up big style. Instead of buying 30% of the
issued share stock, they've gone in and bought 32.4% - which under the rules
of the game (The City Code), they can't do. Nice try though g
Even their pathetic bleating to the Takeover Panel didn't work )

http://moneyextra.uk-wire.com/cgi-bi...14594936M.html

Full set of rules for the game:
http://www.freshfields.com/publicati...2006/15139.pdf
They breached Rule 9