Fritz!Box 7140: noisy fixed line connection

Old November 30th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

Default Fritz!Box 7140: noisy fixed line connection

I bought a Fritz!Box 7140 today. I have a Philips DECT phone and a
regular phone connected to the box. I have it setup to call via VoIP or
fixed line. WLAN is currently turned off since I don't use it.

I notice that incoming or outgoing calls on the fixed line always have a
noise in the background. It happens on both phones. It's not really loud
but noticeable. It does sound a little like I've connected the phone
connection direct to POTS socket without the splitter but there is one
there. Is this a "feature" of the 7140 or should I take it back?

Thanks,

Stu
Old December 1st 06, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stu" wrote in message

I bought a Fritz!Box 7140 today. I have a Philips DECT
phone and a regular phone connected to the box. I have it
setup to call via VoIP or fixed line. WLAN is currently
turned off since I don't use it.
I notice that incoming or outgoing calls on the fixed
line always have a noise in the background. It happens on
both phones. It's not really loud but noticeable. It does
sound a little like I've connected the phone connection
direct to POTS socket without the splitter but there is
one there. Is this a "feature" of the 7140 or should I
take it back?

Hmm, I certainly don't get this problem on my "original" (non-wireless)
Fritz!Box Fon, but then again I rarely use the fixed line port, it's only
there as a backup in case of power failure, normally incoming fixed line
calls go through the PABX. But I just made a test call to check and it's
definitely ok.

I'll be interested to hear the results, I'm currently waiting for the 7170
to come out in the UK.

Ivor

Old December 1st 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
voip_ross

Hi,

This may sound like a strange suggestion, but I have had a simular
problem with an ATA, with PSTN line.

The problem for me was caused by the power adapter cord being next to
the PSTN line. The adapter was causing interferance with the line. Once
this was moved away from the PSTN line, it was lovely and clear.

Its worth trying with your setup, before sending the device back.

Ross
--------------------------
Ross Beer
VoiceHost
www.voicehost.co.uk

Old December 4th 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stu

This may sound like a strange suggestion, but I have had a simular
problem with an ATA, with PSTN line.

The problem for me was caused by the power adapter cord being next to
the PSTN line. The adapter was causing interferance with the line. Once
this was moved away from the PSTN line, it was lovely and clear.

Its worth trying with your setup, before sending the device back.

As suggested by AVM support I pulled all network connections from the
7140 except the phone. Also switched off my DECT phone. Didn't help.

However if I pull the modem cable from the splitter then it's gone. So
could be an incompatible/bad splitter I suppose??

Stu