Anybody with a BT Home Hub help with a installation please....

Old December 1st 06, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Anybody with a BT Home Hub help with a installation please....

Hi all,

On the hunt for info again...

I am expecting to help a friend next week installing their BT Home Hub
once its received and ADSL is activated (they are a first time ADSL user
at home).

I'd prefer to avoid "BT Yahoo'ing" their IE set up or any of the other
stuff that might be installed from the BTHH installation CD that isn't
really wanted so was hoping to avoid that if possible.

I have seen mention of a the BT Home Hub Manager software - could
anybody confirm if this is actually needed or can I just connect via
Ethernet and expect a connection ? Will I find the HH by going to
http://192.168.0.1 ? I've also seen mention that you can connect to the
Hub manager by going to http://192.168.1.254/

If the BTHH Manager is required can this be installed from the CD
without the rest ?

Any help and pointers very much appreciated.

Regards

FF

Old December 1st 06, 06:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Drake

http://bthomehub.home/ Works for me

Old December 1st 06, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 01:30:56 +0000, ]
said :-

[...]

See :

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html
Old December 1st 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian K

Sit down with a large mug of tea, go to
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...&page=11&pp=25
and read.
Scare yourself silly.
Home hub does not seem to have a good reputation so far. Look on Ebay to see
how many are for sale, and the price they go for.
Good luck
news

Old December 1st 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Drake

"Ian K" wrote in message
Sit down with a large mug of tea, go to
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...&page=11&pp=25
and read.
Scare yourself silly.
Home hub does not seem to have a good reputation so far. Look on Ebay to
see how many are for sale, and the price they go for.
Good luck

I've never had any problems settig up the home hub or the hub phone...
I think that some people in this world are just plain stupid.

Old December 1st 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian K

Fair enough.
I am using option3 Bt Broadband with no problems, but do not use the
homehub.
The site I gave has lots of info/help/advice from a wide range of users
"J Drake" wrote in message
news

Old December 1st 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Spin Dryer
writes

[...]

Thanks Spin Dryer - I have come across that site in my hunt for info -
just wasn't too clear from there if you could do away with the CD
completely though.

As it seems the Hub has a built in default login username and
authenticates on the phone number I am hoping I can just connect to the
LAN - point the browser to http://bthomehub.home and be able to
configure as needed.

Is there any real reason for wanting/needing any of the Home Hub manager
(auto update ?)

Thanks to all for the input.

--
FF

Old December 1st 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , J Drake
writes

http://bthomehub.home/ Works for me

Without the need for any of the BT Hub "Manager" stuff ?

--
Thanks
FF

Old December 1st 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Ian K wrote:

Hi,

Sit down with a large mug of tea, go to
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...&page=11&pp=25
and read.
Scare yourself silly.

Yes, thanks for that. I have come across thedigitalspy threads when
searching for info last night.

I doubt it would be my own personal choice of equipment nor would BT be
my chosen ADSL provider but its not my money or choice :-) Just trying
to help out some non techie friends get going without too much uneeded
stuff being dumped onto them from the BT Installation CD.

Home hub does not seem to have a good reputation so far. Look on Ebay to see
how many are for sale, and the price they go for.
Good luck

Thanks !

--
Regards
FF

Old December 2nd 06, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

If you are going to use an Ethernet or wireless connection, you don't need
to load the CD.

The CD will put the Yahoo brouser on, Softphone, setup the BBV number, setup
Outlook Express and install the USB drivers if needed. It doesn't have the
NortonIS on it if your mate is taking the Option2 or 3 package and needs
that.

You can setup the BBV Number by logging on to www.bt.com/bbv and click on
configure hub/router. You can pick which software you want to have by
logging in to the BT Software centre at http://bt.software.yahoo.com and
this is where you would get the copy of NortonIS from. You will only see
software which applies to your mates BT Total Broadband Option.

The hub can be accessed from http://192.168.1.254 and will DHCP out
addresses starting at 192.168.1.64 and upwards. The WEP key is on the back
of the Hub if you need it.

73's de Phill H.