New to Broadband

Old December 1st 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KK

Default New to Broadband

Hello,

I use dialup & am thinking of switching to broadband.

I'm currently with Orange. Are there any issues with Orange (was Wanadoo)
broadband ?

Are all broadband modems the same ?

I will be buying a new PC this Xmas - do they have broadband modems
installed internally?

Thanks for all advice ?

KK

Old December 1st 06, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gort

KK wrote:

Hello,

I use dialup & am thinking of switching to broadband.

I'm currently with Orange. Are there any issues with Orange (was Wanadoo)
broadband ?

Are all broadband modems the same ?

I will be buying a new PC this Xmas - do they have broadband modems
installed internally?

Thanks for all advice ?

KK

If your going get broadband with anyone, then invest in an ADSLRouter. Much
much better than most USB modems. I don't know of any new pc's which come
with a BB modem, good thing really.
A good site to look at for advice is

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Dave
Old December 1st 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I use dialup & am thinking of switching to broadband.

I'm currently with Orange. Are there any issues with Orange (was
Wanadoo) broadband ?

It has a lousy reputation.

Are all broadband modems the same ?

Of course not.

I will be buying a new PC this Xmas - do they have broadband modems
installed internally?

None that I am aware of.

Start at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ aqnd rerad it in depth.

Peter Crosland

Old December 1st 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

:
: I'm currently with Orange. Are there any issues with Orange (was
: Wanadoo) broadband ?

: It has a lousy reputation.

Says you!!! My connection has just worked reliably and well (and almost always
at its advertised speed) for well over 3 years!

It's not the correct ISP for my usage patterns BUT...

1) There has been zero need to contact anyone in their CS about anything!

2) There is no evidence of traffic shaping (as they have so many light users?)

3) At odd times I have gone wildly (14Gb one month) over their alleged 2Gb cap
this has caused me no problems (again, probably, as they have so many light
users!)
Old December 1st 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

You may like to look at my web site

http://www.1001solutions.co.uk/Selec...provider.pd f

for hints and tips on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting an
ISP.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old December 3rd 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"KK" wrote in message
Hello,

I use dialup & am thinking of switching to broadband.

I'm currently with Orange. Are there any issues with Orange (was Wanadoo)
broadband ?

Are all broadband modems the same ?

I will be buying a new PC this Xmas - do they have broadband modems
installed internally?

Thanks for all advice ?

KK

If you go Broadband with Orange you will get a router in the package so
don't buy one as well.
I find Orange excellent and have been with Wanadoo and previously with
Freeserve and have never had a problem
Blair