Sky Broadband

Old December 1st 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Mojo Risin

Default Sky Broadband

Hello

I am thinking of signing up to Sky on the new Sky Max package. Does anuone
here have any experience with them?

What is the speed like?
Are they reliable?
Are there any issue with download limits? It said unlimited in the initial
ad but I notice now they have tagged on something about a fair usage policy.

Any thoughts on this service?

Old December 1st 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Mr Mojo Risin" wrote in message
Hello

I am thinking of signing up to Sky on the new Sky Max package. Does
anuone here have any experience with them?

What is the speed like?
Are they reliable?
Are there any issue with download limits? It said unlimited in the
initial ad but I notice now they have tagged on something about a
fair usage policy.

Any thoughts on this service?

To be honest, the question you have to ask is how long has it been
(supposedly) available at your local exchange.

The reasoning behind this is that their carriers (Easy Net) employed
monkeys to install their kit & it can take months to get a working
service (mine took a little under 2 months to actual get it to work)
yet they will migrate you knowing full well that they can not give
service.

The synch speed will depend on how far away from the exchange you are.
Basically look at the speed you get now & add a couple of Mbps on top
& that will be that. I was getting 3Mbps from the BT DSLAM & am now
getting a stable 5.4Mbps from SKY. Mine first synched up at 6.5Mbps
but as the evening drew on it got more & more flakey until I rebooted
the modem & it hasn't dropped since (yet). Thru put speed, I'm not
complaining as it appears to be faster than my last ISP, but I'm not
that interested in speed really, I just want a stable circuit, speed
comes after that.

They aren't very forthcoming about DNS servers etc which could affect
your speeds as well. Make sure you've got a couple of public DNS
servers on your list & you wont go far wrong.

Download limit...there doesn't appear to be one & as you can't get on
the SKY Broadband website (it's been down over 2 months now, hint
hint) you can't check on their fair usage policy.

If the service is new to your exchange & you're feeling masochistic go
for it. You can get a perverse pleasure out of trying to get the
truth out of SKY about why it doesn't work (they will always blame BT
but BT has very little, if anything, to do with it, they can't even
test the service), the problems lay fair & squarely at the feet of
their nominated carrier & hence is SKYs fault. It just may get to the
point of who will crack first. I have raised the problem with OFCOM &
they are monitoring it. So if you do go for it & get the mess around
I got, go the OFCOM to help them build up a case load which might make
a difference, after a few months though.

I think I only got mine so quickly (?) because I raised the issue with
the CEO of Openreach & pointed out the problems to him, plus making a
pain of myself to the call centre staff at least once a week.

So there you go, one person experiences of SKY Max Broadband for what
it is worth...

Old December 1st 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Mr Mojo Risin" wrote in message
Hello

I am thinking of signing up to Sky on the new Sky Max package. Does
anuone here have any experience with them?

What is the speed like?
Are they reliable?
Are there any issue with download limits? It said unlimited in the
initial ad but I notice now they have tagged on something about a fair
usage policy.

Any thoughts on this service?

I have had max for three weeks now.
It was hard to order their phones are always queued up to the hilt.
I emailed them in the end and they called me back.

Its been fairly reliable except for two DNS outages of about 4 minutes.

When I first got it it synced at 12M but after fitting a proper ADSL face
plate to fix the extention wiring it syncs at 15M.

Throughput from astranews is about 1Mbyte-1.3Mbytes per second.

Don't all ISPs have fair use policies? I know of none that don't include the
same terms in the AUP if they don't have a FUP.

Old December 2nd 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Mojo Risin

Thank you for the responses, they've certainly given me something to think
about.

Cheers

Old December 8th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , kráftéé
writes
Any thoughts on this service?

To be honest, the question you have to ask is how long has it been
(supposedly) available at your local exchange.

The reasoning behind this is that their carriers (Easy Net) employed
monkeys to install their kit & it can take months to get a working
service (mine took a little under 2 months to actual get it to work)

mine has worked from day 1 with no outage AFAIAW - I've had no problems
with the EasyNet DNS servers either

--
dave @ stejonda
Old December 9th 06, 05:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , kráftéé
writes
Any thoughts on this service?

To be honest, the question you have to ask is how long has it been
(supposedly) available at your local exchange.

The reasoning behind this is that their carriers (Easy Net)
employed
monkeys to install their kit & it can take months to get a working
service (mine took a little under 2 months to actual get it to
work)

mine has worked from day 1 with no outage AFAIAW - I've had no
problems with the EasyNet DNS servers either

Which service? It's only the Max product which is carried by the Easy
Net equipment (it's also the best value).

As for DNS servers, I've been told there is only 1 so if you could
share the rest it would be great.

Old December 9th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , kráftéé
writes
dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , kráftéé
writes
Any thoughts on this service?

To be honest, the question you have to ask is how long has it been
(supposedly) available at your local exchange.

The reasoning behind this is that their carriers (Easy Net)
employed
monkeys to install their kit & it can take months to get a working
service (mine took a little under 2 months to actual get it to
work)

mine has worked from day 1 with no outage AFAIAW - I've had no
problems with the EasyNet DNS servers either

Which service?

UkOnline's 8Mb LLU product - the equivalent of one of Sky's products

It's only the Max product which is carried by the Easy
Net equipment (it's also the best value).

As for DNS servers, I've been told there is only 1 so if you could
share the rest it would be great.

I have Primary DNS: 212.135.1.36 Secondary DNS: 195.40.1.3

Maybe they're not EasyNet servers?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old December 9th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 05:41:30 -0000, "kráftéé"
wrote:

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , kráftéé
writes
Any thoughts on this service?

To be honest, the question you have to ask is how long has it been
(supposedly) available at your local exchange.

The reasoning behind this is that their carriers (Easy Net)
employed
monkeys to install their kit & it can take months to get a working
service (mine took a little under 2 months to actual get it to
work)

mine has worked from day 1 with no outage AFAIAW - I've had no
problems with the EasyNet DNS servers either

Which service? It's only the Max product which is carried by the Easy
Net equipment (it's also the best value).

No - 'Base' and 'Mid', as well as 'Max', are on the Easynet LLU
system. It is only 'Connect' that is "Option 4" and a resell of BT.

Regards,
Harry.

Old December 9th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broomhall

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 09:36:21 +0000, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

I have Primary DNS: 212.135.1.36 Secondary DNS: 195.40.1.3

Maybe they're not EasyNet servers?

Those are Easynet addresses, but I suspect the second one you quote
should end in .36

Regards,
Harry.

Old December 9th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Harry Broomhall wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 05:41:30 -0000, "kráftéé"
wrote:

dave @ stejonda wrote:
In message , kráftéé
writes
[...]

Sorry to disagree but SKY offered me the Base & Mid services well
before there was even a sniff of there being an EasyNet suite
installed at my local exchange. They only offered the Max service
after the kit had been thrown into the exchange & even then they had
to check (pity it wasn't thorough though).