Any opinions on the GIZMO project from experts here?

Old December 1st 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default Any opinions on the GIZMO project from experts here?

Any opinions on the GIZMO project from experts here?

I was wondering about its use with a Nokia 770.

Any concerns about security or privacy etc.?

Any catches?

Better or worse than Skype or Google Talk?
--
Chris
Old December 1st 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 21:19:33 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Any opinions on the GIZMO project from experts here?

I have tried it and it works OK. I got a friend to install it on his
PC and then he called me on my phone.

I was wondering about its use with a Nokia 770.

Any concerns about security or privacy etc.?

Just the same as other SIP phones I would imagine.
No reason why you couldn't use an ATA with Gizmo.

Any catches?

Better or worse than Skype or Google Talk?

Never tried Google talk. The Gizmo softphone works straight 'out of
the box' as does Skype. It is SIP's answer to Skype - it is a ready
set up softphone. It is primarily for people who have no idea of how
to set up a SIP phone. It features a ready set up echo test contact
and 'party' conference line. It is easily possible to call SIP phones
that are 'off net'.
Equally well you could use a soft phone, such as x-lite, or an ATA (or
SIP phone), and use virtually any provider that will supply a free
account - there are lots of them. You just need to know how to set it
up.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old December 2nd 06, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jungle Boy

I've used both Gizmo and Skype whilst a low bandwidth torrent was running.
I think the Skype gave better results. Maybe this is because Skype has various
codecs of differing bandwidth it can use where as Gizmo (I think) seems to require
more bandwidth causing lost speech when the connection is busy with other traffic.
I suggest you try it out for yourself with other activity running such as a torrent
(at both ends) to simulate real world behaviour.
The Zfone (ZRTP) protocol only works with Gizmo, Skype uses proprietry encryption.
There are cordless phones (http://dualphone.net) that support Skype. Dualphone have
recently brought out a Skype cordless phone (3088) that doesn't require a PC.
You can also get a version of Skype to run on a PDA (PocketPC) using a WiFi link -
a kind of expensive cordless phone. I don't know of any cordless phones for Gizmo.
Jungle Boy

Old December 2nd 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jungle Boy wrote:
I don't know of any cordless phones for Gizmo.

Gizmo uses SIP, so any SIP-capable device should work just fine.
Old December 7th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jungle Boy

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message ...
Jungle Boy wrote:
I don't know of any cordless phones for Gizmo.

Gizmo uses SIP, so any SIP-capable device should work just fine.

Gizmo is just a bit of software (like Skype) that runs on a PC - it doesn't
need any hardware. The advantage of Gizmo is that you can talk to people who
have 'proper' VOIP phones (usually businesses) or SIP adapter hardware to
convert a normal phone to VOIP.

A Dualphone could be designed to work with Gizmo's PC software, it's just
that they haven't bothered as most people haven't heard of Gizmo or SIP.

The disadvantage of both Gizmo and Skype has been the fact that you have
to leave the PC on burning up 300 watts of power all day.

The new Dualphone 3088 (www.dualphone.net) is different as a PC is no longer
required (similar to a SIP adapter) to run the Skype software - I assume
they're using an embedded Pocket PC/WinCE OS and the PDA version of Skype.

Old December 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Jungle Boy wrote:
"Paul Cupis" wrote in message ...
Jungle Boy wrote:
I don't know of any cordless phones for Gizmo.

Gizmo uses SIP, so any SIP-capable device should work just fine.

Gizmo is just a bit of software (like Skype) that runs on a PC - it doesn't
need any hardware. The advantage of Gizmo is that you can talk to people who
have 'proper' VOIP phones (usually businesses) or SIP adapter hardware to
convert a normal phone to VOIP.

A Dualphone could be designed to work with Gizmo's PC software, it's just
that they haven't bothered as most people haven't heard of Gizmo or SIP.

The disadvantage of both Gizmo and Skype has been the fact that you have
to leave the PC on burning up 300 watts of power all day.

Or you could just conmfigure an ATA with the gizmo SIP settings and use
the service without requiring the gizmo software or your computer to be
on all of the time. This also allows you to use other softphones to
access you gizmo account should you wish. Of course you don't get the
benefit of gizmos IM service, but that is not likely to be a problem.
Old December 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 12:18:12 -0000, "Jungle Boy"
wrote:

Maybe this is because Skype has various
codecs of differing bandwidth it can use where as Gizmo (I think) seems to require
more bandwidth

All VOIP systems have a wide range of codecs and rata rates available,
but some providers only support a few of them.

In general, skype is better over low bandwidth connections than the
standard open protocols, but not necessarily in every case.