Simple Question

Old December 2nd 06, 04:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Carroll

Default Simple Question

Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now
need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to
network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??

- Don't want to buy switch if this doesn't work.....

Thanks
Old December 2nd 06, 07:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

declared for
all the world to hear...
Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now
need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to
network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??

- Don't want to buy switch if this doesn't work.....

Yes. Although I would not connect all 5 to the switch. Leave 3 of your 4
wired PCs attached to the router, then connect the 4th port to port 1 on
the switch and plug PCs 4 and 5 into the switch.

If possible, make PCs 4 and 5 the ones which are least likely to be on
at the same time.
--
Regards
Jon
Old December 2nd 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"John Carroll"
wrote in message ...
Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now
need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to
network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??

Yes. You don't need to connect all of the five cables you mention to the
switch, you can connect some to the router if it suits. If you run out of
ports again, you can connect another switch to the router, or to the
existing switch.

Most, if not all, modern switches (including those built into routers)
automatically detect and adapt to the type of cable (straight or crossover).
If not, there will probably be either a port marked "uplink" or a switch
that sets a port to "normal" or "uplink". Use a straight cable to connect an
uplink and normal port, or a crossover cable to connect two normal ports.

Unless you make very heavy use of the local network (moving large amounts of
data between PCs), you can ignore the rest of this paragraph. Although I
said above that you could connect some computers to the router and some to
the switch, this can result in lower performance in certain circumstances.
This is because the data rate between the stand-alone switch and the one
built into the router will be limited to 100Mb/s in each direction, which
can become a bottleneck. For instance, assuming 100Mb/s links throughout, it
will typically be a bottleneck if you have two PCs connected to the switch
transferring data to two other PCs connected to the router.

Alex

Old December 2nd 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 02 Dec 2006, John Carroll wrote:

Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??

Yes, and if you want, you can position a hub/switch somewhere else if
it makes the cabling neater. For most purposes there should be few
or no problems over speed of traffic within your LAN because the
internet connection speed will be much lower than the local PCs
can handle, and contention (if any) for internet access will take
place at your router if you have all the PCs hammering the link.

I have a couple of PCs directly connected to a router, with a link
to a 5-port 10/100 switch in the middle of the house, with links
off to other hubs/switches in different rooms with 24 ports in
the garage/workshop. Rare to see any traffic levels above 30%
on the LAN, and the max speed for the internet is under 10%
(an "up to 8 Mbps" service) of LAN speeds but all works fine.
Old December 2nd 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Carroll

Thanks everybody for your responses. It won't get intense use - just
the kids in their bedrooms so I don't envisage major bottlenecks of
traffic,

Thanks again,

John
Old December 2nd 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Rance

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 John Carroll wrote:

Thanks everybody for your responses. It won't get intense use - just
the kids in their bedrooms so I don't envisage major bottlenecks of
traffic,

Alternatively you could get an eight-port router such as the Siemens
(Efficient Networks) 5930. I'm using one which I picked up on Ebay for a
tenner.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK