2 ADSL Routers on One Line

Old December 2nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

Default 2 ADSL Routers on One Line

On 02 Dec 2006, "William4" wrote:

Don't be daft. You'll end up with nothing working.

Try it yourself. You may be surprised. In my case, there was a brief
disconnection but then the connection came back up and was OK.

Also... Please don't top-post.

Old December 2nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 2 Dec 2006, Conor wrote:

No. You'd end up with nothing working.

Try it yourself. You may be surprised.

Old December 2nd 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Curiousity.

Could one actually plug two ADSL routers into different ADSL outlets
on the same line.

I appreciate the problem with IP address assignment but am wondering
if two routers are plugged in to different ADSL sockets would it
effectively give you two different local networks.

Geoff Lane

Old December 2nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Geoff Lane wrote:
Curiousity.

Could one actually plug two ADSL routers into different ADSL outlets
on the same line.

You could ,but only one would actually connect.

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old December 2nd 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 2 Dec 2006, "Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

You could, but only one would actually connect.

I suspect even that might be fraught. I've never bothered trying, but
I might well do, tomorrow, to see just what happens to my existing
connection (I suspect the second router will generate sufficient
noise to interfere with the first, and cause it to drop sync).
Old December 2nd 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 18:59:00 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

You could, but only one would actually connect.

I suspect even that might be fraught. I've never bothered trying, but
I might well do, tomorrow, to see just what happens to my existing
connection (I suspect the second router will generate sufficient
noise to interfere with the first, and cause it to drop sync).

Be interested to know what happens.

I appreciate an ADSL modem is different to a cable modem but you can
have more than one of the latter.

Geoff Lane

Old December 2nd 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoNeedToKnow

On 02 Dec 2006, Geoff Lane wrote:

On 02 Dec 2006, NoNeedToKnow

I might well do, tomorrow, to see just what happens to my existing
connection (I suspect the second router will generate sufficient
noise to interfere with the first, and cause it to drop sync).

Be interested to know what happens.

I did try things, though not exhaustively. I had ADSL router #1 (the
one which was already in use) connected, and streamed some audio, and
plugged in another router (#2) at the master socket, from which #1 is
connected via an extension cable. #1 disconnected briefly, then the
audio stream continued without a problem.

I then switched off router #1, which allowed router #2 to connect (as
verified by the same audio stream, being restarted, and control panel
of router #2 was accessed - they are both set to the same IP address)
and then power was enabled again on router #1. Audio stopped, and it
was apparent that router #1 was establishing connection (problem that
it won't display the control panel while attempting to establish link
again). After a while (TV ads finished, so came back some time later
on) it was clear that router #1 was connected and router #2 caused no
'interference' despite my expectation... of course it might be there
is better circuitry in router #1, and it can handle any noise from #2
better than the other way round (#2 is a few years old, #1 was bought
in the last few months) but I had previously seen suggestions there'd
be neither connected/working and that clearly isn't the case. So, it
is still true that only one *might* work, because clearly two cannot,
but it isn't clear whether the combination you have would also have
one working and one not. I suppose there may be *some* advantage
in having two powered up on the same line, but if it is for any
form of 'backup' then having another router (on a separate phone
line, which is the way I am set up) would be a more reliable method.
Old December 2nd 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane
says...
Curiousity.

Could one actually plug two ADSL routers into different ADSL outlets
on the same line.

I appreciate the problem with IP address assignment but am wondering
if two routers are plugged in to different ADSL sockets would it
effectively give you two different local networks.

No. You'd end up with nothing working. There is only one ADSL signal
and it's non routable at your end.

--
Conor

Religion, ****ing people over for millennia.
Old December 3rd 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 02:51:13 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

Try it yourself. You may be surprised.

unlikely, other times I have plugged ADSL kit into line which already
had a working connection running I found the latter stopped. Usually
it wouldn't connect again either, but with MaxDSL it may manage to get
some sort of low speed link.

The chance of two modems on one line achieving sync at the same time
are zero.

Phil