Opinions Symantec firewall and antivirus

Old December 2nd 06, 03:12 PM posted to demon.local,demon.tech.pc,demon.service,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Phil Kyle

Default Opinions Symantec firewall and antivirus

Tony Wright verbally sodomised in
:

In message , Paul
writes

I have bought a laptop and it has the above pre-installed. My first
reaction after all I've read about Symantec was to uninstall it and use
WinXP firewall and an anti-virus like AVG. But before I do, I just want
to check.

It will probably be a 30 day trial of Norton AV/Firewall/Anti-
Spam/Parental Controls and God knows what else.

1. It has a large footprint on the PC speed

That doesn't make sense, Tone.

2. What you really want are effective anti-virus and an effective
firewall. IMO Kaspersky is hard to beat for AV but AVG is good. As for
firewall, then if you're on ADSL then a NAT capable modem/router and
Windows Firewall should be fine.

Windows Firewall is ****.

3. The bells and whistles of NAV Anti-spam/parental controls are
fundamentally a Bad Idea since they are trying to control a Social
problem with a technological solution. There are better ways to deal
with both.

Have you ever attempted to solve a social problem with a technological
solution and failed, Tone?

4. As Jasee says, some anti-spyware like Adaware SE and/or Spybot Search
and Destroy are also a Good Idea.

No way, Tone!

--
Phil Kyle™