what have I done wrong ?

Old December 3rd 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick

Default what have I done wrong ?

I have just had a mate of mine build a PC for my sister. Because of the
location in the house she wanted it to be wireless so I put in a Belkin
F5D7001.

While I had it at my house I had no problems with it at all but when I took
it to her house the connection was indicating low at all times.

We both have a Belkin G router, F5D7230UK4

Its really getting to me as they have an Accer laptop with built in wireless
and they can take that to the bottom of the garden with no loss of signal or
speed.

Can some one please tell me what the settings should be, the ISP is NTL
broadband and Norton Internet security 2007 is running.

--
THANKS
RICK

Old December 3rd 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 03/12/2006 in message
Rick wrote:

While I had it at my house I had no problems with it at all but when I
took
it to her house the connection was indicating low at all times.

Is it actually connecting but just with a weak/low signal or not
connecting at all?

If it's a weak signal you need to look at the path of the signal - it's
line of site and a couple of solid walls will kill it. Going through one
wall or glass into the garden may give a good signal but a couple of solid
internal walls (or foil backed plaster board) and you have a problem.

You may need to fiddle around with the location of the aerials on the WAP
& PC.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK
Old December 3rd 06, 03:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rick

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 03/12/2006 in message
Rick wrote:

While I had it at my house I had no problems with it at all but when I
took
it to her house the connection was indicating low at all times.

Is it actually connecting but just with a weak/low signal or not
connecting at all?

If it's a weak signal you need to look at the path of the signal - it's
line of site and a couple of solid walls will kill it. Going through one
wall or glass into the garden may give a good signal but a couple of solid
internal walls (or foil backed plaster board) and you have a problem.

You may need to fiddle around with the location of the aerials on the WAP
& PC.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK

I think that's it to be honest, between the router and the PC are two
chimney breasts so I thinks killed it.

THANKS for you input
Rick

Old December 3rd 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim..

"Rick" wrote in message

Can some one please tell me what the settings should be, the ISP is NTL
broadband and Norton Internet security 2007 is running.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ here is your problem....

Tim..