A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 4th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
golfingnut
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?

I have purchased one of these wall mounted flush ADSL filters & the
wiring from the old BT line is a little complex.
I have worked out where most of the cables go from the BT line to the
new ADSL faceplate i.e. between numbers 2-5, BUT i have 2 wires (Blue
with white stripes & White with blue stripes) which go in the old A & B
screws on the old BT socket, but my new ADSL socket does not have these
letters, just numbers 1-6. I would dearly love some assistance with
this.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP, From a man without a phone line!!!

  #2  
Old December 4th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 908
Default How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?

Thus spaketh golfingnut:
I have purchased one of these wall mounted flush ADSL filters & the
wiring from the old BT line is a little complex.
I have worked out where most of the cables go from the BT line to the
new ADSL faceplate i.e. between numbers 2-5, BUT i have 2 wires (Blue
with white stripes & White with blue stripes) which go in the old A &
B screws on the old BT socket, but my new ADSL socket does not have
these letters, just numbers 1-6. I would dearly love some assistance
with this.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP, From a man without a phone line!!!



2 & 5


--
60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
  #3  
Old December 4th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?

golfingnut wrote:
I have purchased one of these wall mounted flush ADSL filters & the
wiring from the old BT line is a little complex.
I have worked out where most of the cables go from the BT line to the
new ADSL faceplate i.e. between numbers 2-5, BUT i have 2 wires (Blue
with white stripes & White with blue stripes) which go in the old A & B
screws on the old BT socket, but my new ADSL socket does not have these
letters, just numbers 1-6. I would dearly love some assistance with
this.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP, From a man without a phone line!!!


The old BT socket should still be there. You are not authorised to mess with it.

If you are talking about a NTE5 style filtered faceplate, that goes onto the
bottom of a BT NTE5 'linebox' wall socket, then unless you have a linebox, you
are using the wrong product.

If you have an ordinary master socket, then you have no choice (if you still
want BT to look after your line wiring, and not bill you for the changes
necessary to regularise your line) other than to use a plug-in filter at each
extension, because the extension wiring is part of BT's network, not yours.

Your post seems a little confused as to what wires are coming from where.

Your incoming line comprises two wires. Nothing more, nothing less. The two
wires are normally connected to 'A' and 'B' screw terminals on NTE boxes. The
two wires you describe are not the same colour as typical BT drop cable (usually
white and orange to A and B respectively), but it is by no means unusual for the
blue pair in a run twisted pair cable to be used by BT engineers.

The master socket generates a separate ring signal on pin 3. It is pins 2,3 and
5, that you can then wire from the bottom half of the NTE to your own extension
wiring.

The 'A' wire should go to pin 5; the 'B' wire to Pin 2. It should not matter
if you get these the wrong way around, because there is no 'wrong way' - Reverse
polarity is very common and not a fault, unless you have some very old or weird
equipment that is polarity sensitive (like stuff which uses Zener diodes instead
of spark gaps for surge arresting (last seen available from Screwfix direct))

  #4  
Old December 4th 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
golfingnut
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?


{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Thus spaketh golfingnut:
I have purchased one of these wall mounted flush ADSL filters & the
wiring from the old BT line is a little complex.
I have worked out where most of the cables go from the BT line to the
new ADSL faceplate i.e. between numbers 2-5, BUT i have 2 wires (Blue
with white stripes & White with blue stripes) which go in the old A &
B screws on the old BT socket, but my new ADSL socket does not have
these letters, just numbers 1-6. I would dearly love some assistance
with this.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP, From a man without a phone line!!!



2 & 5


--
60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk





Thats fine, but when i plug the Blue & White cable into No.2 then all
my phones start ringing continueously !!! at the moment i have a phone
line working with just the White & Blue plugged into No.5 (with all the
other cables too, obviously) but the only thing now is thatmy fax dos
not work from another rooms extension socket, ggggrrrrrrr

  #5  
Old December 4th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
golfingnut
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?


golfingnut wrote:

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Thus spaketh golfingnut:
I have purchased one of these wall mounted flush ADSL filters & the
wiring from the old BT line is a little complex.
I have worked out where most of the cables go from the BT line to the
new ADSL faceplate i.e. between numbers 2-5, BUT i have 2 wires (Blue
with white stripes & White with blue stripes) which go in the old A &
B screws on the old BT socket, but my new ADSL socket does not have
these letters, just numbers 1-6. I would dearly love some assistance
with this.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP, From a man without a phone line!!!



2 & 5


--
60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk





Thats fine, but when i plug the Blue & White cable into No.2 then all
my phones start ringing continueously !!! at the moment i have a phone
line working with just the White & Blue plugged into No.5 (with all the
other cables too, obviously) but the only thing now is thatmy fax dos
not work from another rooms extension socket, ggggrrrrrrr




Let me explain just a little bit further, I think i may have confused a
few by my original post.

I have 2 cables coming into my master BT socket from outsides box (1
cable is the phone line with all the necessary colours etc & the other
cable with the exact colours (all) I can only think maybe the cable
that links all my other extension sockets dotted around the house) Now
I have purchased the dredded TALK TALK broadband service & consequently
I ned filters plugged into all my sockets, but instead of that i have
purchased a ADSL Filter plate that just replaces the oroginal plate,
but thats where the trouble starts, its mainly over the 2 wires that
are plugged into the old BT faceplate (all the other colours i have
plugged into the New ADSL faceplate with the instructions on the back
of the packet, but it does not mention the A & B cables (Just No.s 2-5,
says 1 & 6 are not used), Now the A & B they were Blue with White (into
A) & White with Blue (into B) & as said in my previous post I have
plugged in White & Blue into 5 (as per previous reply from post user
said) which is fine, but the moment I plug the Blue & White into No.2
then all my phones start going bonkers & at the moment I have a ring
tone without this being plugged in.

Now my Fax/Phone does not work which is plugged into one of my
extensions & I have not tried my Sky+ unit which is plugged into
another extension neither, that also could be up the wall.

Any idea's???

  #6  
Old December 4th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 104
Default How do i wire in an ADSL filter to my old bT wires?

golfingnut wrote:
Let me explain just a little bit further, I think i may have confused a
few by my original post.

I have 2 cables coming into my master BT socket from outsides box (1
cable is the phone line with all the necessary colours etc & the other
cable with the exact colours (all) I can only think maybe the cable
that links all my other extension sockets dotted around the house)



You certainly succeeded in confusing me with that.

First get your master socket working with the incoming telephone line ONLY.
Worry about extensions later.

One of the sets of wire will have either (a solid orange AND a solid white) OR
(a blue with white strips AND a white with blue stripes) pair of wires.

These should be connected to the A and B screw terminals in the back of the
linebox. Your comments suggest you have a linebox. The terminals are not on
the face plate; they are on the back of the part of the box that the faceplace
fits into; removable by two additional screws.

When that is done, you should be able to plug a telephone into the socket
WITHOUT the faceplate, and it should both work for voice calls AND ring on
incoming calls.

Only when you have that working should you proceed.

Extension wiring to sockets where the ADSL signal is NOT needed get wired to
pins 2, 3, and 5 of the face plate's filtered outputs. Pin 4 is not used. Use
the same wiring scheme that is used for pins 2,3,5 at the extension sockets. If
pin 2 on the extension is blue, and an orange wire is on pin 3, then put blue on
2, orange on 3, and white/blue on 5. Do not wire pin 4. Ignore pins 1 and 6
completely. Verify that each extension socket can now make calls and rings on
incoming calls.

Extension wiring to sockets that require ADSL should be wired pins 2,5 ONLY.
The ring wire is unnecessary. If you later add a telephone to that side of the
circuit, it will need a filter which will regenerate the ring signal if required.

I think your main problem is that you do not know (or have not adequately
described) what wire goes where.

Now
I have purchased the dredded TALK TALK broadband service & consequently
I ned filters plugged into all my sockets, but instead of that i have
purchased a ADSL Filter plate that just replaces the oroginal plate,
but thats where the trouble starts, its mainly over the 2 wires that
are plugged into the old BT faceplate (all the other colours i have
plugged into the New ADSL faceplate with the instructions on the back
of the packet, but it does not mention the A & B cables (Just No.s 2-5,
says 1 & 6 are not used), Now the A & B they were Blue with White (into
A) & White with Blue (into B) & as said in my previous post I have
plugged in White & Blue into 5 (as per previous reply from post user
said) which is fine, but the moment I plug the Blue & White into No.2
then all my phones start going bonkers & at the moment I have a ring
tone without this being plugged in.


Do you still have the other filters plugged in? Are you somehow creating a loop
due to polarity reversal in the house? If you have removed all of the filters,
check your extension sockets to make sure that they are just that, _extension_
sockets. Extension sockets do not have capcitors and resistors in them.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADSL - Getting BT To Install a New Copper Wire charlie uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 13 October 11th 06 11:41 AM
Do I need a ADSL Filter? [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 May 6th 05 05:56 PM
ADSL Filter Roger uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 February 19th 05 04:41 PM
Wires-only ADSL (no email,news,web,etc services) Ben Lings uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 February 15th 04 10:36 PM
Wires-only ADSL (no email,news,web,etc services) Steve uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 February 12th 04 10:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.